Some sellers are SO dodgy!

Browsing eBay to see what sort of price I could expect to get for something I want to sell elsewhere.

Something described as "new" by ostensibly a private seller (who say they won't accept returns!). Checking feedback. How does a private seller get so many identical similar new, unwanted, items I wonder.

We're not talking about 5p widgets (the only thing I'd buy on ebay nowadays) but something that sells new for £170ish.

Ebay might get its reputation back if these questionable sellers could be rooted out and banned.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Browsing eBay to see what sort of price I could expect to get for something I want to sell elsewhere.

Something described as "new" by ostensibly a private seller (who say they won't accept returns!). Checking feedback. How does a private seller get so many identical similar new, unwanted, items I wonder.

We're not talking about 5p widgets (the only thing I'd buy on ebay nowadays) but something that sells new for £170ish.

Ebay might get its reputation back if these questionable sellers could be rooted out and banned.

I have mentioned quite a few times about 'private' sellers in some of the categories I use that run 2000-3000 listings a month, mention their B and M shop and use a business type name. I've given up reporting them as ebay don't care. I was hoping the changes to the free listings offered to private sellers would start to get rid of some of these, and certainly a couple of the bigger ones have cut their number of listings significantly, but there are several still there.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If the really big sellers on ebay who have other means of selling could get together and stop listing for a few months it might encourage ebay to tighten up. I'm thinking of big players such as Argos and the clearance sites of other big companies. These genuine businesses must be suffering as myself and several people I've spoken to would rather go elsewhere, paying a little more for things than run the risk of buying from questionable sources.

Yes, I know, little chance of that happening!
  • Completely agree, misleading to the buyer, unfair to honest business sellers and very easy for ebay to address if they were at all bothered about it.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Can't say I blame them, buyers are the real problem on Ebay not the sellers.

Buyers are fussy and return everything at great expense to the sellers.

Nothing can stop a buyer opening a SNAD though so whether your a personal account running a business or not you still get shafted by buyers.

I stopped selling (business account) on Ebay after getting burnt a lot.
    The prices you get are low and when a buyer wants to return something it can actually result in a loss that take ages to recover from.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    bris wrote: »

Buyers are fussy and return everything at great expense to the sellers.

Nothing can stop a buyer opening a SNAD though so whether your a personal account running a business or not you still get shafted by buyers.

I stopped selling (business account) on Ebay after getting burnt a lot.
    The prices you get are low and when a buyer wants to return something it can actually result in a loss that take ages to recover from.

What a ridiculous response - maybe the problems you've experienced says more about you than your buyers.
  • alykatz
    alykatz Posts: 926 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    bris wrote: »

without buyers there wouldnt be any sellers at all.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    Finding that an item suposedly "from the UK" arrives with Chinese import labelling also makes me cross. I presume saying that avoids some import tax, because it rarely adds much to the delivery time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure