Daily calls from fake number

Options
2»

Comments

• thrifty_pete
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    They are computer driven calls and they simply dial every possible number - then someone like you answers the phone.
    They know my phone number and name, although I hardly ever give out my landline number.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    (They know my phone number and name )
    These details are in the public domain and sold on .
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had the same call so put the phone down and blocked the number, having an American accent when supposedly from BT, which I switched from a few years ago, also made me suspicious.
  • sheep1003
    sheep1003 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was getting 4 or 5 these calls everyday on my landline, with people claiming to be from bt or Microsoft. I’m with sky for all my services so I asked them to activate sky shield (it’s free!). It’s stopped them completely. The caller has to state their name and then it rings my end and asks if I want to accept the call, if they are genuine and not automated they will do it.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just pulled the plug on my landline, no more calls

Anyone who needs me from the dentist to the council have my mobile

All dodgy calls that come through that are blocked

I usually get dodgy calls Thursdays, don't know why, but Thursdays, showing one week Cardiff, the following Manchester, the one after London, around they go like a merry go round, never answered, becoming less and less
  • phoenix1837
    Options
    I also don't have a phone plugged into my landline, don't even know my number lol. I only have it to get broadband. Anyone that needs it has my mobile number too. Much easier to block people on that!
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi there,

If you are a TalkTalk customer, there are a number of security features that can be found on our website to help prevent these calls from coming through to you. You can also report any numbers that call you, using the check and report service on our website.

Thanks,
    Charlotte - TalkTalk Social Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure