Outdoor CCTV IP camera

Can someone recommend a good outdoor camera?
It will need to be PoE, with good night view (will be used in a garden, fairly small, longest distance from camera would be 10 m) and a good angle (not too wide to distort the image, I would say 90/100 degrees).
My budget is £100 max.

Comments

• For only a little more, you can get a Floureon complete system of recorder and 4 cameras. Take a look on eBay for them. A friend replaced his Swann system with one and is very impressed.

Considering a single 4MP Swann IP camera costs around £100 on it's own, I don't think you can beat the Floureon stuff for value.

BTW, the IP stuff (or at least the Swann ones) tends to run on a separate dedicated network, so you aren't saving on cabling, except that it's powered over the cable.

The IP cameras are controlled from the recorder...

The cameras have built-in ir lighting, but it doesn't work well on moving images, even quite close. The camera shutter speeds drop right down, blurring movement. Non moving objects appear very detailed at night, up to about 10m, but forget trying to ID a person walking.
  • arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I already have a Hikvision NVR, but I'll take a look at the Floureon.

The reason why I want IP cameras is that I can't run electrical cables in the garden, so PoE is essential, I'm sure can make them work in the same network.
  • Starvis POE is what you want if you want color type nightvision, dont want to self promote openly so if you do want details PM me
  • arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ok, basically I need a camera to find out what the *** is going on in my garden during the night. Almost every morning when I leave the house I find it literally upside down and I want to understand if it's the neighbour's cat that is doing exercises there overnight, if it's a squirrel or else.

I do have some basic CCTV WiFi cameras (the ones that connect to the 'cloud'), but they are indoors cameras and if I put them in front of the window facing the garden, I get that IR reflection that makes them unusable at night.

So yeah, I don't need colours, also not too concerned about security, just want something that records when it detects movement and has a clear view in the dark.
  • arciere wrote: »
    Ok, basically I need a camera to find out what the *** is going on in my garden during the night. Almost every morning when I leave the house I find it literally upside down and I want to understand if it's the neighbour's cat that is doing exercises there overnight, if it's a squirrel or else.

I do have some basic CCTV WiFi cameras (the ones that connect to the 'cloud'), but they are indoors cameras and if I put them in front of the window facing the garden, I get that IR reflection that makes them unusable at night.

So yeah, I don't need colours, also not too concerned about security, just want something that records when it detects movement and has a clear view in the dark.

Have PM'd you but effectivly you only require IP66 rated cameras these can be obtained from the web or various stores.
  • I saw a fox in my garden courtesy of my CCTV. It picks up the local cats too.

You will need to replace the network cable that is usually supplied, it's only indoor grade stuff and will eventually fail. Outdoor rated cable isn't very expensive.

Good luck, it's fun seeing what features visit your garden overnight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure