PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Daily Wednesday 26th September 2018

Options

Comments

• WeeMidgie
    Options
    Good morning everyone, yesterday's fundraiser for the local hospice went well, and raised a terrific amount, it was non stop all day, then I went to yoga class in the evening, followed by the longest sleep for a long time, eight hours!

Food was very snatched yesterday, soup for lunch and bacon and tomato in a hurry before leaving for yoga. So today I'll cook a small chicken and have loads of veggies with it.

Welcome to our transatlantic friend. Sorry I can't remember your name and on this small phone I can't easily scroll back. It's great meeting you across time zones! Which state do you live in?

After the full on day yesterday, it'll be a quiet day here. One of my elderly neighbours is coming to meet my cat and have a cuppa. I thought she was coming on Monday but she had marked it on her calendar for today. Later on I need to get petrol and will go for a swim.

Thinking of the poorlies, and virtual hugs to everyone affected by health issues and illness, especially the TAs.

These retirement flats have electric heating and no gas, so now that the cooler weather has arrived I'm familiarising myself with the storage radiators. At the moment I have them on very low, just enough to take the chill off the air. My billing will be based on the previous owner's usage but will be adjusted when I submit monthly meter readings.

I haven't yet looked outside, but whatever the weather, I hope you have your best possible day.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,537 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 September 2018 at 8:31AM
    Options
    Hospital again this morning, followed by pre chemo mad shop to get everything in ready, usually just a lot of water and loaves for OH for sandwiches because it's nice bread, I buy four or five and they go in the freezer.

Then I have a visitor, then I have a sewing lesson, and I haven't done my sewing homework [!] yet so that has to be fitted in. I do know how to use sewing machines/overlockers etc, but this has been good just to learn about the finer points of finishing things off and how to do things properly instead of point and shoot sewing like I usually do. And I've met some good people :)

AOD - not employed by them but the night nurse cold and flu tablets are really really good if you can take them, or the tesc0's own version. The completely dry you up and you get to sleep with thh night tablets like a log....and the paper hankies with balm are quite good too
    SD - thank you, shame I can't do a nose twitch and make it all happen at once - I also may have taken too much on, and the OH does tell me that but I dont listen too well :)Smiling saver - eak district or carolina? how did that happen? :)

Have a good Wednesday all, if you can...
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning all and happy hump day,

Still very dark outside and a bit drizzly. Sign of things to come perhaps.

Yesterday I had TGFW coming over. I nipped to Asda at lunch and bought some salmon and vegetables (as per her suggestion) however I don't think she was actually expecting me to make it and was perhaps a bit disappointed at it's simplicity and healthiness. As you all know, I enjoy going to the gym and eating right, which is easy when you're on your own so I think we need to find middle ground.

I gave her my spare keys to lock up this morning as I left the house at 6am for the gym. What I do tonight is dependant on the weather as I'd like to get some work done in my mums garden if possible.

I also had a meeting in work yesterday about my potential promotion all that comes with that (new title, higher salary and bonus) and unfortunately, during the time I was off, my superiors failed to have a meeting and discuss - so no further forward. I have however (again) been promised this will happen on Thursday. I won't hold my breath.

smiling_saver - Welcome aboard. We're a friendly bunch that chat about everything and anything. If you need to vent, get something off your chest or just put something in writing so that it's clearer, then that's what we're hear for.
    camelot - In case I forget, enjoy your lovely weekend.
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,589 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We're home! We did the last leg of our walk on Monday, the Faversham to Whitstable stretch which was the shortest at about 11 miles but I felt ill so I didn't enjoy it at all. It was a shame because we really liked the look of both towns and would have explored them if I'd been up to it. Anyway, we managed to walk or cycle from Faversham to Dover while we were away, about 60 miles so I feel quite proud of myself.

Chris and Crystal are home from Croatia today, they are flying back to Gatwick but will get the train as they can get a direct one to our local station and we will pick them up there.

Laura and Brian have been married 3 years today and the weather is very similar to their day, the sun shone in a bright blue sky all day, it was lovely.

Welcome smiling_saver. Hugs to everyone else who needs one.
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 September 2018 at 8:51AM
    Options
    Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off Holly Pleased you managed to get your shopping done.

Gentle hugs to all who want/ need them.

Thinking of the TA's and Poppy

Nice to see you Organza Lace, we've all missed you

Welcome smiling_saver

Managed to get a few jobs done in the garden yesterday, Lemon tree in the conservatory, it was heavy but managed to move it. Looking forward to using the two lemons if they finish ripening.

Don't usually shop at the Coop but had 5 x £10 vouchers given with some insurance, spent one voucher on 3 for £10 deal, 2 chickens and some minced beef very happy. One chicken in sc, other one in the freezer and minced beef for later in the week.

Looks lovely and sunny again today so will go out with DH,have a coffee and people watch. Housework can wait.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • mehefin
    mehefin Posts: 628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all from a sunny but chilly Mehefinland

Hugs and spoons to those in need.

Today's momentous event is the arrival of Stevie Two Shoes to finish the job aborted last Friday in horrendous conditions. So its hind shoes for Scoobymare and a full set for Bruisemare. Somehow I think I am being ambitious in my expectations!! Time will tell.

Need to attack the back hedge too at some point. Some clown ( not me) planted the dreaded leylandii and the blackbirds colonised it. All clear now so its going to get a severe short back and sides. Down to the wood you might say :D

Got to bag up some produce for the allotments too so a busy day in prospect one way or another.

Take care all
    Mehefin
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks HOLLY. Welcome to SMILING SAVER. And organza-lace so nice to have you back with us.

We have now come to the end of week one at the hospice and we are all still being well looked after. The nurses are now sprucing Bob up and changing his bed so I have left them to it and now enjoying toasted Irish fruit loaf and coffee in the visitors room.

The consultant visited yesterday and said Bob has out-foxed them all as they fully expected him on EOLC the day following his admittance. He is obviously still very ill and we are all taking each day as it comes. It is difficult waiting for things to change. Meanwhile he has just had one weetabix for breakfast which he seemed to enjoy.

We all had a day of self indulgence yesterday. The therapist came round and asked if any of us wanted any therapy. Bob had reflexology on his feet and lower legs whilst DD and I both had a Reiki session. A first for me but I found it so relaxing I fell asleep and the therapist said I was snoring! I could have done with a repeat session at 2.00 this morning when I couldn't sleep. I also managed a much needed haircut. SIL, who long ago retired from hairdressing, brought her scissors in and has almost scalped me. Eeek! But everybody tells me it looks nice and I now look more like me as I was fast resembling Freddy Boswell it had got that out of hand.

I also escaped for an hour too yesterday. We needed stocks of snacks and drinks etc for the room so DD insisted I go with her to the supermarket just to remind me there is life beyond the hospice. DGD and DS stayed with Bob to make sure he behaved himself. He thinks we haven't noticed he still manages a twinkle in his eye when he is surrounded by a bevy of pretty nurses!

Just waiting for DD to arrive after the school run. DS will arrive after work about 3.00 and eldest DGD after school. Not sure who else is visiting. Yesterday his DB arrived (unannounced as usual!) and also my DB and SIL.

Have a good day folks if you can and ((HUGS)) as always for all else in need of them. Take care xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one. TA glad you got some hands on therapy yesterday, it will do you all good.

Well its another bright but cold morning, the coal is steadily going down now. I moved some 'big' coal yesterday and found more slack underneath. I think whats left will last into next week, then it will be the heating on first thing and during the evening. I am in the middle of changing suppliers for gas and electric, I am in credit with both fuels, so should get some cash back which I will send to the new suppliers. I belong to the energy club and have gone with Martins top pick.

We are out for afternoon tea with the friends we were with when OH collapsed, fingers crossed we do not get a repeat performance!!

Chicken and rice for supper tonight....will do some frozen mixed veg in with the rice.
  • bellabella
    bellabella Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all
    A mixed bag here with the weather damp underfoot but roasting in the sun. I hope it lasts as we will be closing the garden down for the winter and sorting the spa out for winter use . The girls have been walked and I have taken the plunge and bought Dolly the dog food from Tails I dont know if anyone else has it ? It works out cheaper as she usually has chicken and rice which i cook fingers crossed its ok as she can have a delicate tummy. Ironing today and small pork joint with roasties for dinner tonight, trying to empty the freezer for 1 more fill up before the dreaded C word.
    Welcome Smiling Saver we are a happy supportive bunch here:wave:
    TA It sounds like you are all being well looked after you are both still in my thoughts
    Taff and Poppy thinking of you both at this difficult time
    Snoozer sounds like a busy but enjoyable holibobs
    Camelot have a great weekend with DS
    Right onwards n upwards have a great day whatever you are up to xx
    Slava Ukraini
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,589 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bellabella, yes I tried the Tails food with Ziggy and was impressed. She has a very delicate stomach and we had no problems with it. Laura decided not to go with it in the end but I might persuade her to get it again. Ziggy now has a teaspoon of a powder containing slippery elm and a coupe of other tree extracts with her food and that seems to have helped her tummy no end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure