Canvassed by MSE?

Options
My daughter is a student in Norwich, she was canvassed today at her student digs. by a girl with ID badge stating she was working for MSE. The girl asked about energy supplier and convinced my daughter to change from Octopus back to Spark. Can anyone either from the forum or MSE tell me if this is legit? I am very worried!
thank you

Comments

• Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Load of tripe, see

I would not goto spark for 1/2 price written guarantee, or any other promise.

I would never use any unsolicited doorstepping for any reason or any promise.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's probably a cooling off period if she was cold called so she can cancel the switch if she wants to.
    Why are you very worried?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • mionday1
    Options
    I know I convinced her to move from spark to Octopus but she was swayed by the fact she said she was from MSE! If it isn’t legit I wanted to highlight that there are people out there using MSE as a way of getting to people!
  • Novice_investor101
    Options
    I had a young chap turn up at my door with an iPad saying he was with MSE & helping people review their energy deals/have an offer available for my area. He was very sly, asking questions as part of a seemingly small talk conversation & tapping particular bits of info into his iPad like my house number which was on the door, Scottish Power when he asked who my supplier was etc. At that point I cottoned on he was mid way through processing a switch by trying to beguile me into revealing all my info.

When he asked what my tarrif was I pretended I didn't know, so he probed some more, then got more desparate when I asked if it matters cos he already knows of a cheaper tariff (apparently)....

He turned on his heels & was gone in a second when I told him I work for a financial advisor firm (not quite true) & am capable of doing my own research & switch with uSwitch to get the £50 Quidco cashback.

Scam artists preying on vulnerable people. I now don't bother toanswer the door unless it's someone I know or a delivery man/post man - even if they can see me in the house.
  • mionday1
    Options
    It’s awful. She’s cancelling and staying with Octopus but if she hadn’t mentioned it she could have been ripped off and as a student she has to watch every penny. Thankfully something didn’t feel quite right and she can sort it out before it’s too late
  • mionday1
    Options
    When I first moved into my rented flat they charged £147 per month once I’d got things together I reduced my bill to £67 per month spark are overpriced and as a student she can’t afford to be ripped off. Also who are these people? It could be a scam and even though she has received an email from Spark today who knows if that’s genuine?
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,518 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Probably is genuine - many times I've seen stories of letting agents switching the supply of rented accommodations to Spark between tenants for a "bung". This sounds like a small extension to the Spark book of "cons".
  • It was utter codswallop!
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pity she didn't catch the ID badge on her phone! For those with a phone that will do it this should now be SOP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure