British Gas Warm Home Discount

Options

Comments

• bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2018 at 12:11PM
    Options
    Danday wrote: »
    I don't pay any council tax. as I receive a 100% deduction due to claiming Pension Credit.
    The council would still foot the bill if you didn't claim DLA/PIP/AA. They can't expect you to contribute if you don't have the money.
    That was a well thought out plan. In my case I consistently overpaid our mortgage by a few £'s a week. This shortened the term from 25 years to 20 years so that I had the option to retire early at 55.
    Totally wrong. Trusts if set up properly and in good time do in fact protect your assets.

As an example Buy the property with an interest only mortgage (my wife did) I inherited a substantial amount along with a 6 figure sum from the Criminal Injuries Compensation scheme. All of that money was placed in a trust which started life in 1998. Because I was the donor I could not be a beneficiary so my wife was (along with our two children).
    The Trust (discretionary) out of the goodness of it's heart and with the trustees agreement (myself and my wife) offered my wife enough money to pay off the mortgage. The money from the trust was paid to my wife and she settled the debt. In exchange for this kind gesture the trust took out a charge on the property to recover the money when it is sold. The trust since 1998 has been charging 8% compound on that debt. At the moment (statement from the trustees 31/3/18) shows that the trust is now owed just over £960,000 by my wife.
    The house is currently worth just under £500,000. So on death the house is sold and every penny will end up back in the trust.
    It doesn't matter if anybody else wants to charge the house, they come second after repaying the trust.

Hopefully after the house is sold and the contents, car etc every single penny will be in the trust. Our two children will be the only beneficiaries so everything ends up with them

Put it bluntly, on paper we are both skint! Hence why we can claim PC as the DWP cannot consider the current value of the trust as it is a discretionary one.
    Come on Danday remember what you post....for a start your house seems to have devalued in just two posts....you are a joke, a sad one really.
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    bspm1 wrote: »
    Can't see how a switched on and savvy person still has a mortgage at 69 personally. Or maybe, as usual, you are getting your fantasy lives mixed up...........

What point are you trying to make? My old thread about my mortgage which has nothing to do with budgeting for the dual fuel cost.

But since you brought the subject up. We have an income that enables us to pay off the mortgage at the rate of currently £600 every 4 weeks. Of that only £42 a month is the interest charge.
    I do have options to settle the balance in June 2020, but would prefer to keep those savings and continue beyond the settlement date for another 3 years.

All I was asking in that thread is what do people think Barclays would do if I refused to settle in full and wanted to extend the term by no more than 3 years? Let them try to repossess or comitt myself to regular payments voluntarilly?
  • bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2018 at 2:30PM
    Options
    What point are you trying to make? My old thread about my mortgage which has nothing to do with budgeting for the dual fuel cost.

But since you brought the subject up. We have an income that enables us to pay off the mortgage at the rate of currently £600 every 4 weeks. Of that only £42 a month is the interest charge.
    I do have options to settle the balance in June 2020, but would prefer to keep those savings and continue beyond the settlement date for another 3 years.

All I was asking in that thread is what do people think Barclays would do if I refused to settle in full and wanted to extend the term by no more than 3 years? Let them try to repossess or comitt myself to regular payments voluntarilly?

Yet you claim Pension Credit, strange that when to claim Pension Credit I believe you cannot have more than £16000 in savings.

I think the point I am trying to make, not withstanding the warm home discount comment, is that you tell so many lies you do not know/remember what you comment on, which is of no use on these boards where sometimes desperate and worried posters come to ask for advice.You ought to be ashamed of yourself coming here and living out your fantasies.

Also, you make no comment on the fact that your house is valued at £285,000 in one post and £500,000 in another, or that you will have the £24000 to clear the outstanding mortgage in June 2020 yet claim Pension Credit.

'Now that my savings etc have been depleted I will still continue to pay it down at the rate of £6500 a year which should leave the outstanding balance in June 2020 of £24,000.'

Do you have money hidden somewhere? if so how can you have the audacity to post a reply on a warm home discount thread saying that people should pay their own utility bills and not expect anyone else to pay them. Just link all your posts up, even YOU should see the discrepancies, or maybe you can't.

A fantasy is a pleasant situation or event that you think about and that you want to happen, especially one that is unlikely to happen
  • naturaljazz
    Options
    I applied for the Warm Home Discount in September with British Gas. I have not yet been told if I will have it.
    I spoke to BG today and they said only the Core Group have so far been paid. Anyone from the Broader Group had a payment yet please?I got it before Xmas last year.
    Remember when you judge someone, it does not define them ... You define yourself :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I applied in Sept too and haven’t got it.

Last year it was Oct and I received it in Feb.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It can be paid anytime up until March.
  • I got mine from SSE early december same as last year, but it was March 3 years ago, I think part of the problem was that it hadn't been finalised until September this year.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    PattyO88 wrote: »
    Regardless of who you get your energy from, the eligibility criteria for the Warm Home Discount remains the same across the board.
    That's not correct. Some energy suppliers have different criteria if you're in the broader group.
  • Yeah plus, I don’t know about anyone else, but BG has already confirmed I’m eligible, they just can’t say what time before March I’ll get it.
  • andi2
    andi2 Posts: 708 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 9 January 2019 at 10:50PM
    Options
    Just logged into my British Gas account & warm home discount was credited yesterday.

I applied the day it opened (in August) & I pay by monthly direct debit. Hopefully everyone's is on the way now.

I'm broader group, not core.
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure