We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Paying a Cheque into my account, with a spelling error!

Options
Hello,

I hope someone on the forum is able to help me out.

Today got a cheque from Aer Lingus for £300. It's printed, not hand written, but somehow they've managed to spell my first name as 'Joeseph' instead of the correct way which is 'Joseph'.

I am looking to cash this at the Barclays branch tomorrow near my work. I am hoping there's no issues but I am not so sure. The cheque is attached to a letter with my correct address on. Will Barclays cash it?

Thanks.

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd be very surprised if they don't, but you will find out for sure when you try.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    When you take it in, say nothing. The chances of them noticing are slim. If they do notice, and it's an issue for them, point out the correct address etc.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 22 September 2018 at 4:37PM
    Options
    You will not be able to 'cash' this cheque. You will have to pay it into your account. As has been suggested, say nothing just hand it to the cashier to pay in to your account. The spelling error is minor and very unlikely to be noticed and would probably still be accepted eve if they did notice.
  • ProdigyV1
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Didn't have any issues. Hopefully it clears now.

Sorry Ben8282 for using the incorrect term haha, having paid in a cheque for ages!
  • davethorp
    davethorp Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pretty sure I've had cheques made out to my name with an e on the end of my surname and they've been paid in and cleared just fine so hopefully you'll be fine
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport