We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Standing Orders

Options
Is it right and proper for the Clydesdale bank to remove the ability for me to amend standing orders online. I've done it for the last 3 years and there's never been any difficulty but their new Internet Banking system doesn't now let me amend. I complained about this only to be told a SO should only be amended occasionally. They said I needed to schedule a debit payment every month or set up a new SO. I can do this ok but it is a pain sometimes remembering.

Their new online system is terrible. Often you have to login twice even to get access but they seem to think everything's hunky dory.

Given that Clydesdale are about to take over Virgin Money but are planning for Virgin to use C'dale's system - heaven help us!

Time for me to change bank I think.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    According to the help feature within their online banking, editing SOs is supported:
    How do I edit a standing order?

Go to Move Money on the top bar. On the right hand side under Quick links select Manage your Direct Debits, standing orders and other scheduled payments. You'll then see the standing order list. Click on the repeating payment or transfer you want to edit, select edit only, change the required fields and then select confirm changes.

Please allow until tomorrow or the next business day for the standing order to appear edited in your list of repeating payments.
    So, if this functionality isn't behaving as promised, complain again, referencing this specification!

Having said that, I do get where they're coming from in challenging the need to amend SOs regularly, is that really the best way to achieve what you're trying to do, rather than using DDs or manual transfers?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't really understand why they would have any issue with you amending your SOs as often as you like, as long as you're not doing it shortly before it's due to be processed (a couple of days in advance should be fine). Unless they have an archaic system there should be no manual involvement from them in the update so the only effort expended is yours. I'd complain and if they still don't allow it take it to the FOS, this is basic banking functionality.

The other option, and possibly the best one, is to vote with your feet and switch to another bank.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure