Alternatives to P2P for 1-3 Year Investing

Options

Comments

• Fatbritabroad
    Options
    I count each p2p account(not loan) as if it was basically a single share in terms of risk and invest accordingly . I'd be gutted if I lost all 20k I've got in p2p but I wouldn't lose my house and wouldn't affect my long term retirement plans. Like most things it's about not being greedy and taking a long term view and doing research. Also knowing your limits!
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    What I would do is accept the fact that such a thing doesn't exist, reset expectations accordingly and go with something in the real world....
    Thats really unhelpful, if you dont the answer, dont feel the need to reply. Deduct 1 point for being an !!!!
    I was simply saying that in my opinion your expectations are too high and that I don't believe there's anything out there that would meet all of them, and sure enough nobody has come up with anything so far.

Happy to retract and apologise if I'm ultimately proved wrong, but still waiting....
  • stehouk wrote: »
    I have no defaults as yet on Archover, and i like the way i am paid out monthly to my bank account so my money is not at risk on the platform earning nothing, i move it to a savings account until i'm ready to reinvest it, i don't normally go for refinance loans because i think when will they ever pay down the debt and it might be my loan they default on (although Archover have regular business's that continually refinance their loan's,) i don't go for start ups, i like loans to fund growth as for me it shows some stability in the company, i think i am due some luck after my terrible experience on funding circle.

Good advice, I try and lend short to companies to pay VAT and TAX bills, when I know when their revenues are due. I think they are the best ones, and longer loans if I'm feeling like a gamble and they seem smart on thier growth objectives. I avoid the ones financing stock for new business areas even if A+
    "It is not the critic who counts..." - Theodore Roosevelt
  • bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Real.

Property ?
  • (having used the high interest accounts already)

There is nothing of any use whatsoever, unless you just want to have several different accounts of £250 a month and have to close an re-open them every year.

You are going to be doing a fair amount of admin for maybe £300 a year total in interest - am I missing something ? You could earn that a lot easier by just doing a days work instead
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,195 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I am invested in a few P2P platforms + I read the P2P independent forum . My feeling/opinion is that in reasonable economic conditions and over a long enough period of time to see the full effect of bad debts/recoveries etc , you are looking at a realistic return of 6 to 7%. The higher paying loans have more defaults and normally the lower paying loans are having a lot less problems and in the end the same kind of return comes out in the wash. Some lenders will do worse and some better but on average I think the figures of 6 to 7% are about right,
    However if there is a significant recession I would expect this return to quickly fall to zero , or worse.
  • Fatbritabroad
    Options
    There is nothing of any use whatsoever, unless you just want to have several different accounts of £250 a month and have to close an re-open them every year.

You are going to be doing a fair amount of admin for maybe £300 a year total in interest - am I missing something ? You could earn that a lot easier by just doing a days work instead
    What admin? A few minutes setting up dds to make sure the required money goes in and comes back out again

Between two of you off the top of my head

7500 at 5% nationwide plus a 5% monthly-saver at5%

4500 5% tsb plus regular saver3%

5% regular saver santander at 200 a month.

That's over £700 a year to start with without any need to faf with dds like Tesco at3%on 9k
  • stehouk
    Options
    What admin? A few minutes setting up dds to make sure the required money goes in and comes back out again

That's over £700 a year to start with without any need to faf with dds like Tesco at3%on 9k
    Nationwide refer a friend worth another £300 on top for two people,
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    stehouk wrote: »
    Nationwide refer a friend worth another £300 on top for two people,

Why not £400? I referred my wife to switch and we got £100 each. She referred me to switch and we got another £100 each. Neither of us had switched to Nationwide before but I was an existing customer.

We invested the money and it's now worth even more!

Alex
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,878 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

Just a small note that a 5% regular saver is not quite the same as 5% annual interest, of course.....the average time the money is invested is 6 months over the year.....
    & yes, I appreciate there are some people who recycle these things amongst LOTS of accounts to try to make it closer to 5%....but life is too short for that!!
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport