We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Nationwide and verified by Visa

Options
Is anyone else having problems making online payments with Nationwide Visa debit cards? I've been unable to make online payments for about a week, but can use it OK for all other transactions. Definitely a problem with a card as I've tried alternatives (Tesco Mastercard, and Lloyds Visa Debit) which go through fine.

Nationwide are no help at all - say nothing to do with them and all they can do is report the card as damaged, lost or stolen and send out a new one (great - so then I can't use the account at all whilst I'm waiting for the replacement!). I've raised a complaint with Nationwide as not convinced they've done all they can to investigate.

Comments

• PRAISETHESUN
    Options
    Have you tried the same Nationwide card with multiple online merchants? Occasionally I have issues with verified by visa for some merchants, but then the same card works fine with another merchant.
  • beefturnmail
    Options
    Have you tried the same Nationwide card with multiple online merchants? Occasionally I have issues with verified by visa for some merchants, but then the same card works fine with another merchant.

Yes - In fact the one that failed today, worked fine (with Nationwide) about 10 days ago.
  • lyle1993
    Options
    Had problems with the verified by visa for my Nationwide Credit, not debit. Rang up each time and they said it had been blocked, and to try again in a few minutes now I'd confirmed transactions genuine.
  • londoninvestor
    londoninvestor Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 19 September 2018 at 6:26PM
    Options
    Me too. I had a couple of transactions declined, followed by a slightly frustrating interaction with them over a few days of secure messages. (This was credit card only - the debit card was fine.)

They will eventually be enhancing their Verified By Visa to send an authentication code to your mobile. But right now the VBV doesn't allow you to verify your identity, if it declines, it just declines.

The ultimate solution of a texted authentication code is fine by me (I know it's not everyone's preference for reasons that have been discussed on other threads).

I wasn't convinced they fully got why I was annoyed at transactions being declined for no very clear reason, but didn't take it further as in practice it wasn't a great pain for me just to use a different card.
  • beefturnmail
    Options
    Thanks all - what's strange about mine is that Nationwide are not saying that my card is blocked or transactions are being declined - they claim that they can't see any problems at all.

Although I suspect I've only so far spoken with front line people who don't know what they're talking about. Nationwide CS seems to has taken a nosedive recently - it was hard enough trying to talk to anyone at all, as their new automated CS system kept sending me round in circles - had to just keep repeating 'I want to talk to somebody' to get through!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport