Comps that require you to share on FB - do you have to choose Share Public?

Options
I have noticed that a lot of FB comps require you to like and share the post to satisfy entry requirements. When sharing posts, do you have to choose Share (Public) for it to count? If possible I would like to restrict it to "friends only" or "only me", but I am not sure if the entries will still count.

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They are not supposed to ask anyway but if they cannot see the share they may not pick you (sometimes other entrants complain if they cannot see the share as well) and obviously they want the share to be public for it to be of any promotional use to them
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,956 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The entry will probably not count.
    When they are examining their post it will say how many shares, say 100.
    When they click on it it will show them public shares say 50 are visible, so they may well only put those shares into their draw for the competition.
    As mjm says the whole point of the competition is that they get social media exposure in return for giving away a prize, so if you are not prepared to share it publicly maybe those competitions aren't for you.
    You could, of course, create a profile that you just use for competitions and share publicly to your heart's content but that would be against facebook's terms and conditions.
  • ...and that is so irritating as they are not meant to ask for likes, shares and tags but there is no way of reporting them.
    Why do mice have such small balls?
    Because so few of them can dance.
  • ljaybrad
    Options
    IT's also really annoying when you ask them to remove the share element as it's breaking facebook terms - they appologise hugely and thank you.... then post more comps that require a share.
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport