e-cheque and returns

Would appreciate some advice / opinion from those in the know.

I sent a returns request on an item that was measured incorrectly. I have an eBay message stating that the seller issued an e-cheque and if it has not cleared by a certain date to escalate the claim. So far I think this must be because seller has no PayPal balance and therefore I need to wait.

The seller account states returns not accepted and there is no request for return of item or returns label, no communication from the seller, I'm not sure what to do with the item. It is no use to me but the seller could re sell it.

If I returned the item at my cost could the seller then cancel the refund or will I need proof of return to escalate the claim to eBay if necessary?

Thanks
The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed. Steve Biko

Comments

• You stated that "I sent a returns request" but then contradict this as follows; "there is no request for return". Can you clarify what actual communications took place and if a request is open?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you log in to Paypal can you see this payment? It should show as pending with a date when it should go through (about a week's time).
  • As post #2. You have a message about an echeque yet have not opened a return case or returned the item?

If you return the item at your cost then its your cost. Ebay will only refund the money you spent initially. Thats why you open a return On ebay. The seller pays the return postage.

If they fail to respond to a return case (did you open one)? then you will win and get a refund and you have the upper hand if they want it back.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• jetplane
    jetplane Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sorry if my post was confusing, when I said there was no returns request I meant the seller had not requested that I return the item and neither has eBay. The seller has not contacted me.

I requested a return on the grounds that the item did not match its description. The information on the eBay page advised that I use the sellers return postage label. I expected the seller to contact me and ask that I return the item (send a label as per eBays instructions) and then I would receive a refund. I'm unsure if this is the same as opening a case?

The only message I have received is from eBay stating that seller has refunded me by e-check and this can take a week to process. The refund shows in PayPal and the item is in my returned / cancelled orders list.

I'm not sure what to do with the item and whether the seller can take this money back if I do not return said item at my own expense.

Thanks
    The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed. Steve Biko
  • They can cancel the e cheque I know that surely it would clear before hand, to be fair it's odd they've done that before getting the item since you could wait for the cheque to clear then not actually send the item
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure