Student loan overpayment paid back £2195

Hi, just requiring advice on my situation.

September 2017 I started full time university, left in October.

Upon leaving had no instruction on paying back money I was given in that time. February 2018 I received a letter and email requesting me to pay back the £2195. After phone calls and messages to student finance I was told I had to pay this more or less straight away even though I had explained that £1820 of what they were asking back had already been taken by the university as rent and therefore did not even have that amount left over after rent and let alone food for the time being there and books. Having got money from a relative this was paid of in full In that February they asked for it.

I was unemployed since September 2017 and was still unemployed when they asked for £2195 back. But I did start part time university in January with the Open University and still doing it now. Having seen a lot of commercial on student over payments and having paid back before the April after leaving just wondering if I am entitled to get some money back.

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,849
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Chloeleah wrote: »
    Hi, just requiring advice on my situation.

September 2017 I started full time university, left in October.

Upon leaving had no instruction on paying back money I was given in that time. February 2018 I received a letter and email requesting me to pay back the £2195. After phone calls and messages to student finance I was told I had to pay this more or less straight away even though I had explained that £1820 of what they were asking back had already been taken by the university as rent and therefore did not even have that amount left over after rent and let alone food for the time being there and books. Having got money from a relative this was paid of in full In that February they asked for it.

I was unemployed since September 2017 and was still unemployed when they asked for £2195 back. But I did start part time university in January with the Open University and still doing it now. Having seen a lot of commercial on student over payments and having paid back before the April after leaving just wondering if I am entitled to get some money back.

You are entitled to receive funding for the time you spent on the course. If you withdraw then your funding gets recalculated pro rata up to the date you withdraw. Anything already paid to you more than this entitlement is repayable immefiately. Any loan funding you're entitled to is repayable under normal terms from the April after you withdrew.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure