Thanks to those who participated in our 'Ask An Expert: Scams' event. Scam expert MSE Katie's video answers are available to watch on the board now.

Buying someone out of a mortgage help

So basically my wife bought a house with her sister 15 years ago

I moved in 13 years ago and she moved out. Since then I have been covering the mortgage.

How would we calculate a buy out amount. I assume the initial deposit back and the 2 years of payments? And a token gesture .

Or would it go on the original purchase price and what it's worth of and then splitting the difference 50/50.

Many thanks
Jay

Replies

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    16.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    What did they agree between them when they purchased the property?

If no agreement then you have:

1. Value from 13 years ago, less amount of equity paid (not a lot as it would be front loaded with interest) ÷ 2 = amount due to SIL (or the same + 50% of rental cost over the 13 years due to SIL.)

2. Value from 2018, less equity (decent amount depending on mortgage term) ÷ 2 = 50% payable to SIL (or the same + 50% of rental cost over 13 years due to SIL)

It can be as easy or as difficult as you all make it.
  • Many thanks gives us something to go on. And nothing was ever agreed from when she moved out. And I have been paying it since. She has paid nothing towards it since moving out.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals