🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Boiling kettle vs running hot tap

Options
1235»

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Chris, i've just read that article, and to be honest, it dosen't make sense.

They say a dishwasher uses between 0.87 and 1.59kwh of energy per cycle. And 18 litres of water.

My sink takes 0.6kwh to fill with gas powered heating, (which is 5 times cheaper than the electricty it would cost ME to use a dishwasher), and 7 litres of water.

So, even on their most 'efficient' 'Energy Star rated' cycle of 0.87kwh.
    0.87x 15p = 13p
    0.6x2.8p = 1.68p

Plus the more than double amount of water used in the dishwasher obviously.

How they draw their conclusion is anyones guess!

I doubt anyone could realistically wash a dishwasher full of dirty plates, cutlery, cups/mugs, glasses, dishes etc using(and heating) with just 7 litres of water.

With two people in the house the dishwasher goes on roughly every 3 days. If we were to 'manually' wash up(and dry) over those 3 days it would mean washing up several times - or have piles of dirty plates/utensils etc in the kitchen.

The contents of the dishwasher are dry and gleaming - especially the smear free glasses. It is a no contest!

My grandmother used to sweep the carpets and floors and used no electricity. I confess to the extravagant use of a vacuum cleaner. After due consideration I have decided to continue using the vacuum cleaner AND the dishwasher!
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    S0litaire wrote: »
    Yeh....
    but an Electric shower over the sink would just look silly... ;)

Would be a great conversation piece though :p
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • chrisw99
    Options
    Yeh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YiXsuyYa4c
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Yeh....

Agreed.

So do the washing up in the shower.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills