Thomas Cook complaint brush off

Options
We had a holiday in Menorca with Airtours to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We booked the hotel specifically because it offered in room air conditioning
When we arrived the front desk apologised because the air conditioning in our block wasn't working and they were awaiting a part to fix it. To cut a long story short we asked everyday only to be given an excuse (it was the weekend, it had to be brought from the mainland etc) We complained to the rep but we had no air con for the whole of our stay.
I contacted Thomas Cook to complain as soon as I arrived home. After 28 days I still had no response so emailed again . Today I received a reply which stated that "following investigations they could find no evidence of issues with the zircon during our stay" I am so angry that I am basically being called a liar. Should I forward the complaint to ABTA or refer back to Thomas Cook.

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lorryw wrote: »
    When we arrived the front desk apologised because the air conditioning in our block wasn't working and they were awaiting a part to fix it.
    was the hotel full? did you ask to be moved? (either room or hotel?)
  • lorryw
    lorryw Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The hotel was full. We didnt ask to be moved because we naively accepted the hotels explanation. The hotel rep was only on site once during our visit. We told her about the situation and she said was aware and would investigate for us.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The hotel rep was only on site once during our visit. We told her about the situation and she said was aware and would investigate for us.
    It's been a long time since I bought a package holiday, but the Reps always used to give you a contact number (mobile in resort). Are things different these days?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is it that you want TC to do now? They couldn't do anything about the fault at the hotel because they were waiting for a replacement part, and you didn't do anything about it at the time by asking to be moved to another hotel. Now you are home TC can't do anything about what actually happened, so I repeat: what do you want then to do now?
  • lorryw
    Options
    A proper apology and compensation.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A proper apology and compensation.

How much compensation would you like?,if you think that you will get the whole price of your holiday back you are in for a shock.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • bradders1983
    Options
    Maybe you might get somewhere if you contact your local paper and start practicing your best "compo face"
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    How long was your holiday ?

The length of time before this complaint was raised with the rep and addressed is a key issue.
  • lorryw
    Options
    I don't expect the total price of the holiday but I do expect my complaint to be dealt with quickly and fairly without having to argue with the company who sold me the holiday and basically being called a liar.
    We went on holiday to relax for my husbands 65th birthday, retirement and our 40th wedding anniversary. We accepted the hotels explanations in good faith which I now realise was foolish and we should have made more of a fuss but we were there for 7 days and didnt want to spend all our time in fruitless arguments.
    I suppose we could have asked to move to a different hotel but that would have meant moving to a different resort. There was a language problem and we didnt want to be seen to be making a fuss We accepted the reps apologies and explanation that she was looking into it, which obviously didn't happen.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would expect something like this to only gain you around £40 in compensation. You will need to decide how much time you want to spend on the matter to gain that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure