£100 for closing first direct account?

Options
13»

Comments

• PSMcG_2
    PSMcG_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    So just to clarify from the website (I can't post links on here, not been on here long enough), my issue is with the wording:
    'You need to contact us to let us know you're unhappy within 12 months of opening your account, and you'll get the money within 28 days of the criteria being met.'
    I did contact them with 12 months to indicate I was unhappy and lodged a complaint.
    However, I have not been able to switch banks until now (24 months) so will I still get the 100 pounds given I have been with them for over 12 months and that i haven't left within the first 12 months.

Full terms from website currently:

**£100 to say goodbye

We're not just sure you'll love our service more than anyone else's - we're banking on it. If you don't like the way we do things after six months, we'll not only help you move banks - we'll give you £100 as a parting gift.

To qualify, you must have paid at least £1,000 a month into your account for six months and not have banked with us before, as well as switched to us initially using the Current Account Switch Service. You need to contact us to let us know you're unhappy within 12 months of opening your account, and you'll get the money within 28 days of the criteria being met. If you do decide to leave, all other products you hold with first direct will also need to be closed.

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Raising a complaint is not the same as saying you want to leave. If the complaint was you were not happy (and you do not need to raise a complaint to leave) then that, Begs the question as to why the 12 month delay in switching away?
    Regular saver maybe?
    Life in the slow lane
  • PSMcG_2
    Options
    Raising a complaint is not the same as saying you want to leave. If the complaint was you were not happy (and you do not need to raise a complaint to leave) then that, Begs the question as to why the 12 month delay in switching away?
    Regular saver maybe?
    No, 12 months ago tried to switch to M&S bank and was turned down, it is wife's account. So left it for a while so as not to affect credit rating at the time by trying to apply again so soon to another bank. Then I also had in my mind that you didn't have to leave within the first 12 months as I have not seen anything myself which indicates this so there was no major rush for that reason also.
  • PSMcG_2
    Options
    I think I am resigned to having to ring up First Direct about it, which I would prefer not to as it is my wife's account and she really doesn't like dealing with banks etc.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PSMcG_2 said:
    Regular saver maybe?
    No, 12 months ago tried to switch to M&S bank and was turned down
    Doesn't HSBC provide the back end services for M&S? 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Yes. But unlike FD, M&S have their own banking licence.

Both FD & M&S are separate entities and other than using some HSBC systems, make their own banking decisions. 
    Life in the slow lane
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,504 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

Yes. But unlike FD, M&S have their own banking licence.

Both FD & M&S are separate entities and other than using some HSBC systems, make their own banking decisions. 
    They just happen to all have the same regular saver offer, almost all the time?
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    First Direct is actually a division of HSBC UK Bank plc which is part of the HSBC Group.

M&S Bank has its own banking licence due to its history but  M&S Bank is a trading name of Marks & Spencer Financial Services plc, which these days is 100% owned by and also part of  the HSBC Group
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    PSMcG_2 said:
    Regular saver maybe?
    No, 12 months ago tried to switch to M&S bank and was turned down, it is wife's account. So left it for a while so as not to affect credit rating at the time by trying to apply again so soon to another bank. Then I also had in my mind that you didn't have to leave within the first 12 months as I have not seen anything myself which indicates this so there was no major rush for that reason also.
    PSMcG_2 said:
    I think I am resigned to having to ring up First Direct about it, which I would prefer not to as it is my wife's account and she really doesn't like dealing with banks etc.
    With respect I think you're clearly on a loser here.

You told them, within 12 months, that you were unhappy.  But you did not close the account.  Which would have been the trigger.  You appear to be blaming M&S for that as they didn't accept you and therefore there was no switch. 

But it's up to you to close the account - and if a switch fails you should have tried another switch within the timescale or closed the account within the timescale.. 

The account is still open, still apparently in use, so you can hardly say now, 24 months later that you meant to close it within 12 months but didn't, er, get round to it. As far as FD are concerned you're a happy customer, still with them, despite your grumble within 12 months, 24 months later.  

You want bank switching incentives? You need to work within the time frames to get them!

As for it not even being your account, good luck ringing them up!
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you tell First Direct you're unhappy and want to leave, but you don't actually leave, then they'd be quite entitled to conclude that you weren't really unhappy in the first place. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback