We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

GreenStar - refuse to acknowledge meter readings, passed my details to debt collection!

Options
Firstly, I'll just add that I gave GreenStar plenty of patience and opportunities (5 months+ of correspondence!) to resolve this issue, and on the phone this evening have informed them that unless I am able to speak to a supervisor, we will be seeking legal advice and open forum discussion, which will no doubt result in reputational damage. I was treated with open contempt, SO BE IT!

We moved into our property in March, and tried to switch energy suppliers. With no idea who our previous energy supplier was, we were told by British Gas that this had been blocked, and then told it was Green Star Energy. We got in touch straight away (4th April, Telephone!) and explained we were switching suppliers and needed to produce a final meter reading.

THIS WAS PROVIDED, VIA EMAIL, ON 4th APRIL. (sorry for the obnoxious capitals, but this is the salient point). They also asked for a copy of our tenancy agreement to prove the date we moved in, which contained the meter readings when we moved in.

Meter readings from 4th April - meter reading on tenancy agreement = total usage.

This was acknowledged via email, and we were told a final bill would be produced. When this bill arrived it was an estimated reading (instead of the readings provided on 4th April) at over 400% (!!!) of our usage! We immediately disputed, via telephone, and gave them our original meter readings again. At this point, The Green Star agent noticed the electricity meter reading hadn't changed between dates, and asked for confirmation. We provided this via photograph, with the reading clearly visible.

Again, we received an estimated bill, with none of our readings applied (not even the gas reading!)

In the mean time, British Gas attended to fit a smart meter (25th July) and noticed that, indeed, the electricity meter was broken and damaged, potentially dangerously so! (I foolishly didn't get this in writing from the engineer). He said energy suppliers had a responsibility for the maintenance of meters, and this should be performed periodically (not sure of the increments), but suspected this hadn't been done. All this is ultimately besides the point, but I wasn't happy with the broken meter!

I immediately contacted Greenstar energy; with both a copy of the meter reading British Gas took on the date of my meter change, alongside their estimated bill; which showed our usage still way, waaaaay under the amount they estimated us for in just one month. At this point, I refused to accept their estimates, even with the Electricity meter being faulty. I would accept these estimates if they were reduced in proportion to the 'estimated gas use' and actual use variances; so take 3/4 off the estimate and we'd likely be getting close to actual amount, according to their own calculations. I was told, after 3 weeks, the meter readings had been adjusted and the account was on hold, pending review.

No response.... until... 18th Aug... I receive an Overdue account notification! for the estimated account!

I immediately contact GreenStar customer services to point out the constant miscalculations, provided the meter readings YET AGAIN, and asked why my account, supposedly under review, was issuing late payment notices?! Again, I was told my account was on hold, under review, and the meter readings dated 4th April had been applied. I should expect an accurate, final bill soon.

Fast-forward to today. I've come home from work and found a Debt Collection Agency letter against my name, and a letter from GreenStar threatening action unless I pay the full amount!

I am in the process of applying for a Mortgage, and GreenStar have just, totally falsely, applied a great ton of debt against my name... I...AM....FUMING..

I immediately contact their customer services, and ask to speak to a supervisor. The Customer Service Agent (SOAIRSE) informs me that she, understandably, needs to hear the circumstance of my dispute before she can escalate. I provide her with the full details, she looks into my case and acknowledges the meter readings provided in April, May, June (+ Photographs), July, AUGUST... and also that my account is on Hold and under review, with no action to be taken. There is no explanation given, or attempt to investigate why.

There was an apology, coupled with confusion, but no supervisor was available to talk to me. The Agent confirmed there had been several failings, confirmed I had "done everything right in a timely manner", but all she could do was place my account on hold and under review... which she explained it already was. They asked for more proof, at which point I explained they already had several meter readings, a photograph, a tenancy agreement and a meter reading from British Gas. There was no further proof to provide!

I asked to speak to a supervisor, but was told none was available. I insisted, citing further action to be taken, and that all this had been done previous and I had still had debt applied to me. I was placed on hold and told... no supervisor was available. I asked to speak to someone from the legal dept. about misapplying debts, and was told this was not possible.

I was advised, instead, to call back in a weeks time (!!) and see if there was any update on my account.

I'm fuming, and despite the rant above, relatively speechless as to what to do/say. I have zero faith in GreenStar energy, and I am accruing debt against my credit score simply because, by their own admission, they can't apply a meter reading to a final bill.

I'm not even sure if what they've done here is legal, or if I'm entitled to any compensation for applying debt to me?

Obviously I have paper and email records of all correspondence, just no telephone logs (which I may be able to receive through a SAR). I don't even want compensation to be fair, but I certainly don't think I should be paying them a penny at this point.

What should I do? I cannot complain any further with GreenStar, and they don't deem it important enough to warrant the attention of a supervisor.

Comments

• wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 September 2018 at 6:44PM
    Options
    The GreenStar Energy Complainst procedure can be found here;
    https://www.mygreenstarenergy.com/Portals/0/Pdfs/UK_CustomerComplaints_SEP_24_15_1.pdf

Please ensure you follow it carefully.

It is unclear to me why you have allowed this to go on so long that the supplier felt they had no other choice than to put the matter into the hands of debt collectors.

As regards to your belief you should not be paying the supplier a penny at this point, I would refer you to term 12 of the terms and conditions.

I don't think you are doing yourself any favours ...
  • BoltonCrisis
    BoltonCrisis Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 14 September 2018 at 7:48PM
    Options
    wavelets wrote: »
    The GreenStar Energy Complainst procedure can be found here;
    https://www.mygreenstarenergy.com/Portals/0/Pdfs/UK_CustomerComplaints_SEP_24_15_1.pdf

It is unclear to me why you have allowed this to go on so long that the supplier felt they had no other choice than to put the matter into the hands of debt collectors.

What are you talking about? Have you even read the post above? Why I have let this go on so long... I HAVEN'T! All I've done is provide meter readings and wait for a final bill, and then chased and repeated for months. Every time, GreenStar have confirmed my meter readings will be applied...and then simply failed to do so.

I've acted above and beyond their procedure, I've driven correspondence for months! With acknowledgements in receipt of my actions!

I have followed the complaints procedure to the letter. GreenStar have confirmed the estimated readings are wrong and they should have applied the ACTUAL readings to the account on several occasions, and we do not owe them the amount stated, and it should not have gone to debt collection agencies?

They have confirmed there is no dispute, the amounts just need to be applied and a final bill produced... which they are then not doing! They just apologise for not doing so, and apologise for the mistakes, but keep sending estimated bills... and now debt collection!

The supplier has not had 'no other choice', they have confirmed that this is a mistake.. my issue is that they have confirmed this on several other occasions, but have not taken steps to change their course of action..

lets take a look at their 'complaints procedure', for one, the section that says:
    you can ask for your complaint to
    be escalated. If you have phoned in we will try to put
    you through to someone on the call, but if no-one is
    available we will arrange a suitable time for you to be
    contacted – this can be via email or letter if you’d prefer.

...and their complete failure to do so. This issue has been escalated on several occasions, in line with their complaints procedure, with no actions taken by them.

I am now at Step four of their complaints procedure, but this is only because of a complete failure to follow their own actions on previous steps. What is unclear, here?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A letter from a DCA does not mean any debt is 'against your name'. Have you actually checked with all 3 CRA's to see what has been flagged up? Lare payment? Default?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family