We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Which Octopus tariff should I choose

Options
georgiac
georgiac Posts: 1,183 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I have been incredibly remiss in not changing suppliers of gas and electricity for a couple of years and now find my EDF plan is £700 more than I could be paying with Octopus.

They seem to have three main plans - the cheapest being the Flexible, then the fixed 12m and supergreen.

Each will save me a tremendous amount annually but I have no clue as to which to choose.

Any advise will be very gratefully received, thanks

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why just Octopus? There are about 71 other suppliers to choose from, and Octopus are not cheap.
    Unless you live in a 10 bedroomed mansion, you cannot possibly achieve a saving of £700pa, so recheck your annual kWh figures.
    Most of us currently go for a fix, as prices are rising sharply.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 September 2018 at 8:43PM
    Options
    Octopus is not the cheapest.

I can save over £220 on my leccy bill by going with Eversmart rather than Octopus (based on my annual average consumption of 7200kwh) Octopus are charging over 3p/kwh more than Eversmart

Unless you desperately want to go with Octopus I'd have a good look on the comparison sites to see what's available.

It's also a good idea to try separate gas and leccy suppliers as dual fuel tariffs aren't the deal that many suppliers make them out to be. Most people can get a better deal with two suppliers.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For a switching ‘tyro’, Octopus is one of the better suppliers in my opinion. They are good at keeping the customer informed about how the switch is progressing. Their App is also simple to use, and they do not charge exit fees.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    they aren't everso good at keeping my account up to date at the moment. They've got dates wrong, reading wrong and haven't acknowledge that I transferred away from them on 10th Sept.

Mind you Eversmart don't seem to be significantly better either
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    For a switching ‘tyro’, Octopus is one of the better suppliers in my opinion. They are good at keeping the customer informed about how the switch is progressing. Their App is also simple to use, and they do not charge exit fees.

You sure........:rotfl:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    gardner1 wrote: »
    You sure........:rotfl:

Absolutely, based on a simple switch of my electricity account in January and, more recently, a more complex switch involving a new property. This involved two different and incorrect addresses, and an incorrect meter allocated to my MPAN. Octopus didn’t get everything right first time: for example, it only become clear that the MPAN for my property was linked to an incorrect meter after the transfer went through. Octopus have been proactive in dealing with the issues, and they have keep me informed throughout. They have also allowed me to stay on my original tariff until my contract end date.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,146 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For me Octopus come 3rd on the list, £70 behind Outfox, but all the cheapest are variable so not really a good choice. The cheapest fix is E.On at £95 behind the cheapest (but with £25 cashback so £70) and EDF come £125 behind Outfox.

Separate suppliers may be the best way forward, Ebico are currently offering an 18 mth fix for gas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport