🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Huge issues with Toto Energy

Options
Hi all, first post but at this stage i dont know where else to turn.

I've got two huge issues with Toto Energy. First one theres a bit of a grey area to be honest, I'd moved house and requested to switch to a new cheaper provider as soon as we moved in. I chose Toto from a comparison site. Long story short on this one, I'd requested to switch in November 2017, direct debit set up so im paying the new company, to find out in May 2018 that Scottish Power (old company) had refused to switch my electricity over. I had only found this out as I received a bill from Scottish Power, which confused me and I asked Toto who finally told me what happened. Over 6 months this resulted in a £700 bill from a company I thought I'd left. Did they have a duty to tell me when it first happened?

Second problem - the cheek of the service! I've been owed a refund since July now, they told me 28 days so I've left it until the past few days to chase up, it's excuse after excuse. They only owe me shy of £65 but after all this battling its principle. Such generic excuses, the systems are down, they'll get a manager to ring me back later (never happens of course), they can't a response from the refunds department (get off your !!! and go speak to them then - surely?!)

Avoid this company. I've been with so many companies and had my little issues here and there but nothing comes remotely close. I'd opened a resolver case in May/June which I'd stupidly marked as resolved when they gave me an answer and a refund deadline, but the deadline hasnt been met. Do I have any rights based on any of this?

Thanks all and sorry for the stupidly long post :p

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When you moved you where in a deemed contract in the new property .
    Step one is to contact and register with this supplier . You are then free to move.
  • Tylersands1
    Options
    We're renting - to be honest I didn't know who my supplier was but the gas was switched fine. Neither are on a meter - to this day I still have no idea why the electric was withheld but I have been told that the new company is meant to inform you if its blocked, not sure though
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    to this day I still have no idea why the electric was withheld but I have been told that the new company is meant to inform you if its blocked, not sure though
    The only confusing thing is why the gas switch went ahead. As JJ Egan says, you are on a deemed contract with the previous supplier when you move into a new property. If you don't register with the existing supplier and you sign up for another company, it only leads to problems.

It makes no difference whether you are renting or buying. If there are no letters for the previous tenants from the gas/electric supplier and you therefore don't know who the existing supplier is, then you have to phone up to find out (see Who is my gas or electricity supplier @ uSwitch)

Apart from that, good luck dealing with Toto!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport