No Idea on Benefit - Child on way

Options
Hi All

I / my partner are very new to claiming any kind of benefit, we both work, she is currently on maternity

Her Salary is around £22k
Mine around £40k

she is now on maternity & we are expecting arrival any day, i think we maybe able to claim child benefit but not entirely sure, not sure if there is anything else i should be looking at either ?

we are not struggling financially however we have both put into the system so would like to get out what we are entitled to :beer:

Thanks

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Its not a building society you know

You are entitled to child benefit
  • markprior
    Options
    haha thanks
  • brewthebear
    Options
    You dont pay into the system as you put it to then get out what you can. Byhaving a baby you are already (getting out of it) maternity midwife hospital doc etc.
    Dentists, sick pay etc, again by putting in the system as we all do entitles us That is the main reason tax ins is paid Is that not enough for you !!
  • Happier_Me
    Options
    There are a number of benefit calculators on the Internet but given your income I expect you will be entitled to child benefit only. It all helps though. If your partner returns to work and you use paid for childcare, look into child care voucher schemes too to see if these will benefit you.
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    Happier_Me wrote: »
    There are a number of benefit calculators on the Internet but given your income I expect you will be entitled to child benefit only. It all helps though. If your partner returns to work and you use paid for childcare, look into child care voucher schemes too to see if these will benefit you.

Childcare vouchers close to new entrants on 4th October. It would need to be tax free childcare.
  • markprior
    Options
    thanks for the replies
  • PersianCatLady
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Its not a building society you know

You are entitled to child benefit

It is shocking that so many people think that it is a building society.

Rather than be disappointed that they are not entitkled to anything, perhjaps the OP could be grateful that they are lucky enough to be financially stable?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Actually, it's an insurance policy, hence the name National Insurance. Millions of people annually fail to claim the money that the Government has decided they're entitled to.

The OP is indeed in a relatively comfortable position but is perfectly entitled to check if anything further is available. After all, no demands were being made.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The OP is doing nothing wrong or illegal in asking what their entitlements might be once the baby arrives. I thought that was the purpose of the forum. In fact, at the top it does state "For help and support NOT judgement".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure