We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Draughts caused by oak beam shakes

I have a modern house which is well insulated but we suffer from could draughts. Part of it is oak framed, with exposed beams. As shakes have opened up cold air is getting in brrrr. I can use filler between the beams and the walls, but I need to try blocking up the shakes, but what with? I don’t want it to look rubbish, any ideas?

Comments

  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 9,574 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I would suggest a dark brown sealant (e.g. the sort of sealant used around hardwood doors and windows). Inject this deep into the shakes and don't try to fill the shake, just put a bead of sealant at the bottom of the shake to close the gap. The sealant should be barely visible.

    Only problem I can see is that you might struggle if the shakes are very narrow. I would suggest that with these, you either accept the very limited draft that will come through them or fill them up to the surface but then use something sharp to remove the excess sealant so that the shake can be seen and the sealant remains hidden at the bottom.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • a1154
    a1154 Posts: 14 Forumite
    That’s very useful, thanks tacpot. Sealant will also have a bit of flex, and it will be years I think before the oak stops moving, so sounds good. I’ll initially only have a go at the larger shakes and see if there is a decent reduction in cold air.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.