We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Missing bricks in loft allowing access for rats/mice - who to call in?

Last year, my autumn and winter was characterised by hearing activity in my loft, mainly at night, that seemed to be mice or rats. I recently went into my loft and noticed that there are a few bricks missing from one of the walls - it's safe to say that the gap is how they're managing to get in.

Before it becomes an issue again, I'd like to have this dealt with. I'm well aware that it's necessary to have some ventilation in the loft, but I'd like to have this gap dealt with to try and keep these unwanted visitors out (though I'm aware of their abilities to plough through anything). Is this a job for pest control or a builder? Excuse my naivety on this matter!

Comments

  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Builder I'd have thought. A pest controller only lays poison AFAIK.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,277 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    If the gap is meant to be there, you can get critter-proof airbrick covers that might be an easier alternative. I used MouseMesh ones to cover our airbricks; you can just screw or glue them in place.
  • Get one of those plug in repellers too - our garage has been mercifully rodent free since we plugged ours in!
  • If you block that up they'll just find another way in. If the whole street has them in loft and they're running along you're honestly wasting your time. Not an awful lot you can do.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.