We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Outdoor light connecting to socket

Hi

I am looking at some general low wattage, low voltage outdoor led lighting. Just for general lighting.

Can I just connect these 12v lights to a outdoor socket I already have or do I really need further wiring by electrician.. (fuse box has RCD protection).

Ta

Comments

  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    xyz123 wrote: »
    Hi

    I am looking at some general low wattage, low voltage outdoor led lighting. Just for general lighting.

    Can I just connect these 12v lights to a outdoor socket I already have or do I really need further wiring by electrician.. (fuse box has RCD protection).

    Ta
    As socket is 13 amps and lights require 3 amps perhaps lower for low voltage? putting in the correct fuse should be ok? But my opinion. Someone who is more knowledgeable will answer.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    xyz123 wrote: »
    I am looking at some general low wattage, low voltage outdoor led lighting. Just for general lighting.

    Can I just connect these 12v lights to a outdoor socket I already have or do I really need further wiring by electrician.. (fuse box has RCD protection).

    Ta


    I have an outdoor light, plugged into a 13amp socket in my outhouse. It works perfectly, but maybe some will say it should be hard wired?
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 8,613 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    In principle, there's no reason why you shouldn't just plug it into an outdoor socket.


    But check whether the transformer supplied needs to be indoors. If it does, then plugging it in outdoors may not be a viable option.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.