We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Painting new plaster

Yazmina
Yazmina Posts: 321 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
I had my ceiling skimmed last year and now I'm ready to paint it. I started using ordinary white emulsion (just a small amount, cutting in and around the light fitting) and have found out that this is likely to flake off. I've now got 10L of Leyland contract matt, can I just paint the contract matt over the emulsion?

Thanks.

Comments

  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,129 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I'd thin it 10% for the first coat. 10 litres? That must be a large ceiling!
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Yazmina
    Yazmina Posts: 321 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Thanks. It's all the ceilings on the ground floor.

    How do I tell when the paint is 10% thinned?
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,253 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Add 1 litre to your existing 10 litres.
  • Yazmina
    Yazmina Posts: 321 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    The whole thing. I see. Thanks.
  • No not the whole thing! Only so much as you think you need for the first coat. Start with 2 liters of paint and add 200ml of water or similar.
  • Yazmina
    Yazmina Posts: 321 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    steppevos wrote: »
    No not the whole thing! Only so much as you think you need for the first coat. Start with 2 liters of paint and add 200ml of water or similar.

    You might be right. Coverage is apparently 13sqm per litre. My ground floor is around 40sqm I only need 3 litres. Also is contract matt meant to be just the base coat? Should I then apply 1-2 coats of regular emulsion?
  • Yazmina wrote: »
    You might be right. Coverage is apparently 13sqm per litre. My ground floor is around 40sqm I only need 3 litres. Also is contract matt meant to be just the base coat? Should I then apply 1-2 coats of regular emulsion?

    Dilute for the 1st coat with 10% (ish) water and use the rest undiluted.
    You'll probably need 2 coats of undiluted after the first diluted (mist) coat. Matt is OK for ceilings as it's quite forgiving and doesn't show up all the imperfections in the plaster.
    No longer trainee :o
    Retired in 2012 (54) :)
    State pension due 2024 (66) :(
  • moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,546 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I have just done this.
    Bought 10 lt of cheapest matt from wickes, poured half ( 5 lt) into a bucket and added 1 lt of water (thought i should dilute it by 20%)

    Went on a bit transparent looking although I thought the paint was still reasonably thick But has dried really white.
  • I hate the fact that contract matt comes only in 10l buckets. I had to do a 1m by 1m patch of ceiling that was recently plastered. I used a clean yoghurt pot to dump the paint into a paint scuttle and then guestimated 10% water and mixed thoroughly. Went on beautifully. Second and third coats were neat.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.