credit owed to me

Hi all, im after some advice please. My parents who are both in their eighties had a Tesco credit card. My dad used this card to pay for his car insurance,. For what ever reason several monthes later the insurance company decided they had overcharged my dad for his car insurance and refunded around 80 quid back to the tesco credit card with an accompanying letter sent to my dad.
This would have been OK except my dad had paid off and cancelled the credit card before the refund took place as he no longer had a need and no longer intended to use the card
My question is do you have to hold a current credit card for the credit card company to pay back money that you have in credit on the account. My father has rang them but they say he has to apply for a new card before they can return the money to him. this money has been owed for a long period and i have only just found out this money is owed from several years ago after going through some of my parents paperwork and finding the credit card statements showing the account in credit. many thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    gran_timo wrote: »
    My question is do you have to hold a current credit card for the credit card company to pay back money that you have in credit on the account. My father has rang them but they say he has to apply for a new card before they can return the money to him. this money has been owed for a long period and i have only just found out this money is owed from several years ago after going through some of my parents paperwork and finding the credit card statements showing the account in credit. many thanks in advance for any advice
    How long ago was this ? If more than 6 years anything offered is goodwill, if under 6 years write a formal letter of complaint.
  • There are doubtless rules and regulations that should be followed in a situation like this and probably some procedures that customer service staff are not empowered to side-step in order to get the right result.

However, if it were me, I'd write to Tesco and say please give me my money back. It is a nonsense to apply for a new CC just to get the refund paid out and I very much doubt it is a legal requirement (I could be wrong, of course). Regardless of the legalities, your dad needs to be heard by someone sufficiently empowered to make the right decision for him and this probably means submitting a written complaint.

Good luck.
  • I don't understand - first the card was closed before the refund was processed then years later you see paperwork showing the card in credit?
    So in that case the card was not closed was it?
    If it has been closed since then the refund has been taken into account when the card was closed?
  • I don't understand - first the card was closed before the refund was processed then years later you see paperwork showing the card in credit?
    So in that case the card was not closed was it?
    If it has been closed since then the refund has been taken into account when the card was closed?
    Many Thanks for your reply, perhaps i didn't explain well enough in my original post, but the reason my dad closed the account was that he no longer required the card and at this time the fact that he was going to get a refund from the insurance company as they had somehow decided they had originally overcharged him for the insurance was onknown to him so he closed the card down without knowing he was going to get this aforementioned refund. so as far as i am concerned the account/credit card was closed but as the insurance company paid the money back into the original payment method the account then became in credit even though he had closed it, so maybe they should not have accepted this payment into the account???. But they have/did and now Tesco are sending credit card statements to my dad each month showing this credit amount. As i said in my original thread when he has asked for this credit to be sent to him via cheque or whatever they have told him the only way is if he requestes another CC. As stated by molerat and terry-towelling i will send a letter of complaint to Tesco requesting my dads money is sent to him, i just wasn't sure of the legality of them saying only way was to get another card, hence the request for advice.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Can he not just close it (again) and withdraw the money?
    Or buy something worth £80?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport