»

Best card ford deployment

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Best card ford deployment

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
7 replies 907 views
slamexslamex Forumite
3 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
So I'm in the army and I go away on exercise and deployment regularly. Problem is because the majority of bills, food shopping and income goes onto my account my wife will keep the card whilst I'm away, leaving me with limited funds.

So we've decided to open up a new bank account to pay into whilst I'm away so I have some spending money, and I wanted to know which current account you guys would best recommend.
I'm not looking for anything extravagant because it'll only be used whilst I'm away so won't be everyday spending.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Replies

• Which is the best card for highest balance?
  • edited 7 September 2018 at 3:08PM
    Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 September 2018 at 3:08PM
    slamex wrote: »
    So I'm in the army and I go away on exercise and deployment regularly. Problem is because the majority of bills, food shopping and income goes onto my account my wife will keep the card whilst I'm away, leaving me with limited funds.

So we've decided to open up a new bank account to pay into whilst I'm away so I have some spending money, and I wanted to know which current account you guys would best recommend.
    I'm not looking for anything extravagant because it'll only be used whilst I'm away so won't be everyday spending.

Are your wages going to be paid into it? Would I be correct in saying you won't be having any bills, or direct debits coming out of the account? Are you going to be using the debit card for purchases or at an ATM cashpoint?
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    26.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything will do. Ask whoever you bank with for ease.
  • HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Can you not just ask your existing bank for an extra card in your wife,s name or change to a joint account?
  • Are your wages going to be paid into it? Would I be correct in saying you won't be having any bills, or direct debits coming out of the account? Are you going to be using the debit card for purchases or at an ATM cashpoint?

No my wages wont be going into it and bills wont be paid out of it, its purely a spending card. Only a small amount each time i go away. Likely it would be used for payments or ATMs.
    Hasbeen wrote: »
    Can you not just ask your existing bank for an extra card in your wife,s name or change to a joint account?

No, its more a safety net, so I dont over spend and means we go over budget.
  • edited 7 September 2018 at 3:55PM
    Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 September 2018 at 3:55PM
    No my wages wont be going into it and bills wont be paid out of it, its purely a spending card. Only a small amount each time i go away. Likely it would be used for payments or ATMs.
    In that case any current bank account will do the job. Tesco current account pays 3% interest on balances up to £3,000. When you pay by debit card, you get Tesco clubcard points too (you can link the debit card to any clubcard account).

Edit: Oops, I think you need to pay 3 direct debits and pay in £750/month to get the interest. You still get Clubcard points though...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Went with my current bank for a new account. Thanks for the advice.