🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

EON messing me about with the National Meter Database

Options
lstar337
lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 5 September 2018 at 3:11PM in Energy
Looking to get in touch with Helena or some other EON rep on here as phone conversations lead nowhere and there is no record of what has been said or done.

Basically my meter is registered to the wrong address on the national database. EON were meant to put this right when the took over my supply last year. They didn't.

When I switched to Affect about a month ago, they took over my neighbours supply due to the error on the database. Now all is returned except I'm now on EON standard tariff!

I spoke at length with EON on the phone and they agreed that;
  1. They should have updated the database when they took supply.
  2. They would give me £5 compensation for getting stuck with them on their Standard Tariff.
  3. They would have the database updated within the week so I could continue my switch away.

Well a month later and I am still with EON. Affect are regularly checking the database on my behalf and the address is still wrong!

I refuse to wait another hour on hold with no record of what has been said, so here I am.

Please get in touch EON so I can get this put right. :D

EDIT: I don't see any £5 credit on my account either. My neighbour got £25 compensation from EDF due to the error, and EDF didn't even do anything wrong!

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Write to E.on and head your letter COMPLAINT in big bold letters.

Detail your points - stick to facts and keep it short - and tell them you expect it to be resolved.
    Also state that you expect to have been on the tariff you attempted to switch from until the saga reaches a resolution, not the expensive standard tariff.

If, after 8 weeks, you are no further then escalate to the Ombudsman.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Usually you can't switch unless the address is correct. so many companies seam to have made an error.

It usually takes 28 days to correct the database
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If there is another mpan (assuming electric) with the correct address then you will not get the address changed.

The usual way is to get the right meter onto your mpan, not change the address (unless it is still aplot number).

You may have been paying on the wrong account the entire time.

The new account could be right.
  • AndyPK
    Options
    Mine needed the address changing
  • lstar337
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    If there is another mpan (assuming electric) with the correct address then you will not get the address changed.

The usual way is to get the right meter onto your mpan, not change the address (unless it is still aplot number).

You may have been paying on the wrong account the entire time.

The new account could be right.
    No the meter is correct.

Both EON and Affect confirm that only the address is wrong, and it must have been entered incorrectly on the database.

EON took the account and just billed using the MPAN. Affect say that cannot be done anymore and they have to use the database. Farcical!
  • lstar337
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Usually you can't switch unless the address is correct. so many companies seam to have made an error.

It usually takes 28 days to correct the database
    EON told me 7 working days, 2 weeks max.
  • AndyPK
    Options
    I suspect they detected, you wouldn't like the 28 day answer very much!

or maybe they can work their magic and get it speeded up
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family