IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Hw close does a parking sign need to be?

Options
First of all. Many thanks to coupon mad et all for your insightful posts. The community built up here is unbelievable, I'm so glad to have found this.

I have some 'invoices' I am challenging currently. What I don't understand is, the car is so far from the sign, the sign isn't visible (in their pictures all you see is small blank rectangle in the distance) it's about 15-20 meters from the car. Yet they are still pursuing me for penalties(?), does anyone know if you have to be able to see the message on the sign for it to ‘form a contract’ with the driver?

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Can you give us some more information? Which ppc is it and what stage are you at?

I'm asking because you may (or may not) be over complicating things with such a specific question.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The key issue is what a "reasonable person" would do. For example, entering a Pay and Display and not looking for signs is a slam dunk fail.

Turning up on a small piece of waste ground in the middle of the night is very different.

What are the facts?
  • StClements
    Options
    PPC is CPM. They're at multiple stages, one is at intial PCN stuck on the car, a couple where intial appeal rejected, one where they've referred to IAS and one where 'Dept Recovery Management' have been sending me letters.

The facts are. Theres a block of apartments. In front of it is some empty space and a lamp post with a parking sign on it. Then there's a small road, on the other side of the road is some bins and more empty space where my car was.

Thanks in advance both.
  • waamo
    Options
    Odds of court can be seen here http://www.parkingappeals.info/companydata/Car_Park_Management_Services_CPMS.html

If you read the thread at the top of this board that tells Newbies to read it first then you will discover that appeals to the IPC are utterly futile.

In that thread is a template to use for an initial appeal to CPM. After that it isn't worth appealing further.
  • StClements
    Options
    Thanks waamo, that's really useful. I didn't actually make an initial appeal, I just responded saying I couldn't see any signs in the vicinity should I bother making an actual first appeal?

Some additional detail regarding my case.

1. CPM issued a different reigstered keeper a PCN, when he emailed them to pay, they responded with "Please note that no permits are required for this site, the only restriction for this site is: No parking on roadways/Access roads".

2. As described previously, my car was not on a roadway/access road.

3. As I got a hold of the response issued to keeper in 1., I sent this to CPM asking why they are pursuing me still after that response to a different keeper?

4. They responsed saying 'currently no vehicles are authorised to park on site which is why the ticket has been issued'.

Given this blatantly contradicts 1, what should I do?
  • waamo
    Options
    Have a quick read of this. For speed scroll down to the last couple of posts https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5889859

It explains about appealing to CPM.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CPM or UKCPM. Two different companies

What is the full company name as UKCPM are aggressive.
  • StClements
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up I just checked, although their logo is CPM, they sign themselves off as UKCPM. Aggressive hey?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    For 'aggressive' read 'litigious'.

But you'll know that when you searched and read all the zillions of UKCPM threads and read about their court claims, that we win against.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • StClements
    Options
    Ok it sounds like to me I need to start reading and prepare to go to court.

It is incredibly vexing these companies can operate this way. I can't believe the developer, that built the site our home is in, hired this terrrible excuse for a decent company to persecute residents for parking near their homes. I intend to fight them for everything it's worth and I really want to drive this horrible firm out our neighbourhood for good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure