Telly screen gone blank

I've got a SHARP LC-32LD145K telly, which is out of guarantee.

It's worked perfectly well until just when The Chase was getting exciting yesterday evening.

The screen just went blank without any warning. The sound is perfect, and those buttons on the Remote that don't need the screen, seem to be working fine too.

Questions are. Is the telly repairable [new tube?], or just bin it and get a new one? If it's repairable about how much should the repair come to?

Thanks in advance.....PP

Comments

• It's an out of date 32" TV that'll cost way more to repair than it's worth I'm afraid. Have you checked all the connections, especially any scart (if that's what it uses)?

BTW it uses a panel rather than a tube.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 September 2018 at 10:37AM
    The LCD is backlit by LEDs , the TV is tolerant of a few failed ones but then it hits a critical number and the screen blanks

If you are handy with a screwdriver then it's possible to repair if the replacement parts are cheap enough off eBay , YouTube probably has a guide.

But it's probably easier to replace the TV ....I get mine from richer sounds for the free 6 year warranty . I've had richer sounds recently repair an LG TV with the same symptoms using genuine parts with just a month of the warranty left
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks Colin and Browntoa for the replies. Very interesting.

Under pressure from the cook I've dipped into the piggy-bank, and ordered a Panasonic 43" from Argos, being delivered this afternoon.

The last telly we had was a huge black cube of a Panasonic Twin-Tub [I think that was the description] that I bought when we lived in Cyprus in 2001. It looked ancient then, and probably fell off the back of a dhow in Dubai on it's way to some poor market in the Indian sub-continent.

It worked perfectly though, and I only replaced it 14 years later due to pressure from the cook. It'd probably still be going strong now.

I'm a bit shocked [but not surprised] that these flat screen efforts can go out of date so quickly. Jizzed by technology and the finite life of the product due to the short life of just one [major] component. We're selective viewers, and the thing was hardly on, plus we spend 3 months of the year seeing the World.

I'm assuming that places like Richer Sounds wouldn't offer free 6 year warranties on rubbish that's likely to fail without notice.

It'd be great if there was some updateable online list of these toys showing that they're soon about to go out of date.

Thanks again.....PP
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    Thanks Colin and Browntoa for the replies. Very interesting.

Under pressure from the cook I've dipped into the piggy-bank, and ordered a Panasonic 43" from Argos, being delivered this afternoon.

The last telly we had was a huge black cube of a Panasonic Twin-Tub [I think that was the description] that I bought when we lived in Cyprus in 2001. It looked ancient then, and probably fell off the back of a dhow in Dubai on it's way to some poor market in the Indian sub-continent.

It worked perfectly though, and I only replaced it 14 years later due to pressure from the cook. It'd probably still be going strong now.

I'm a bit shocked [but not surprised] that these flat screen efforts can go out of date so quickly. Jizzed by technology and the finite life of the product due to the short life of just one [major] component. We're selective viewers, and the thing was hardly on, plus we spend 3 months of the year seeing the World.

I'm assuming that places like Richer Sounds wouldn't offer free 6 year warranties on rubbish that's likely to fail without notice.

It'd be great if there was some updateable online list of these toys showing that they're soon about to go out of date.

Thanks again.....PP

There is a slight problem in that the big names available from supermarkets are not the same models as sold by such as Richer Sounds,John Lewis etc.

If you check the model numbers you can see if they are on general distribution or shop specials, which are specific to that retailer, but likely to be made down to a price, by using cheaper parts .(I've read this before but my husband was told by a Panasonic rep.)
  • Last time I had a TV go bung (I just love that phrasing from a Crowded House song) on me, it was a 23" Panasonic CRT one that my parents gave me when they got their Sony flat screen.

One day when the start up module decided it didn't work, so someone I knew asked their local TV shop about it for me and I was told that it could be repaired, but may not be cost effective as there may be other parts faulty due to how it was designed.

I've now got a used 32" CRT Samsung, and have had it for 3 years. I got it for absolutely nothing :D
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    I had this happen on mine. It was a capacitor, opened it up, it was obvious which one was the problem (it had a fat end and smelled metallic) ordered a replacement (it has a number on the side of it), soldered it in place, works fine again - cost about £6.

I am not a practical technical person, but thought for £6 I would give it a go.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport