Stuent Loan when Overseas

I suspect this has been discussed, but I suppose everyone's circumstances are unique...

My Student Loan is repayment system/method 1 (I was at university from 2002-05)

I went to Australia in 2012 and didn't return until the UK until March 2015. I didn't tell the SLC company that I was going abroad. I didn't really think about it at the time. I'm aware it was my responsibility to check this sort of thing out, but we are where we are.

I'm now thinking about going abroad again, and should inform them, but I'm concerned about them finding out about my previous time out of the country - I believe they can demand I repay in full? I don't think I ever earned enough in Australia to make the threshold (it's complicated to work out because the Australian tax year differs from the UK one, so I'm not sure how you would calculate it, if at all)

However, there's a 2016 article on New Statesman that says the following;

"Until a couple of years ago, graduates who moved abroad were exempt from making payments on their student loans, but with more moving overseas this policy has changed."

Does anyone know if this is correct, and if so can I find the old T&Cs? If so I would have been fine when I went abroad the first time.

I should perhaps say that I never earned above the threshold before 2015, so I didn't make any repayments - can they check my NI number and see that I wasn't in the UK/paying tax for the 30 months? I'll also add that I've never had a statement or any contact from the SLC (they have my parents address, which I've always kept for some financial stuff)

Comments

• First thing, you must give SLC an up to date contact address.

As far as I'm aware, students moving overseas in at least the last 10 years still had to let SLC know and make repayments if they were due, according to the thresholds that SLC are mandated to use.

You have to let them know if you're going overseas again, and them finding out is a risk you might just have to take.

I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
  • toby3000
    toby3000 Posts: 316
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    First thing, you must give SLC an up to date contact address.

As far as I'm aware, students moving overseas in at least the last 10 years still had to let SLC know and make repayments if they were due, according to the thresholds that SLC are mandated to use.

You have to let them know if you're going overseas again, and them finding out is a risk you might just have to take.

Thanks - I suspected as much about the moving overseas bit.

They've always had an up to date address - my parents haven't moved and I pick up post from them. I'd just put the lack of communication down to the notorious incompetence of the SLC, and since I'm nowhere near paying it off it doesn't particularly matter that they're not sending statements through.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure