Forum Home» Credit Cards

Amex after Clarity - how to best time application

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Amex after Clarity - how to best time application

edited 2 September 2018 at 4:05PM in Credit Cards
11 replies 1.1K views
bd10bd10 Forumite
168 posts
Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 2 September 2018 at 4:05PM in Credit Cards
Hi all,

quick question on timing an Amex CC application:

My recent credit-relevant activities:

May 2018: switched current accounts. Only highline card with new bank, no credit card. A hard search was done, account application successful.
June 2018: Applied for Clarity card. Hard search was done, application accepted.

I also would like to get my limit on the Clarity increased. Just got back from holidays, and thanks to bad month-end timing I have now 65% utilisation for August. Thus my wish to get a higher limit. Since I got the Clarity, I have always paid down in full and my utilisation was never above 25% in the previous 2 months.

Is it now too early to apply for an Amex card?
If I were to apply, would this ruin my chances with Halifax to get a higher limit over the next 6 months?

What would be the best course of action reg. Amex and Halifax?

Replies

• A4445A4445 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    You have to have the clarity card for 6 months before any increase.

I’d just apply for the Amex now, they have an eligibility checker on their website will give you an indication if you will be accepted. Three credit checks in a 6months period will be ok, 4 or 5 could start to be an issue .
  • bd10bd10 Forumite
    168 posts
    On the Clarity card, I can wait 6 months, no problem. Is there a chance Halifax might look at my new application less kindly and cut my limit on the Clarity? That would be most annoying as foreign transaction are a lot more important to me that Amex rewards.
  • A4445A4445 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    I’ve had as much as 8 searches in 6 months and I’ve never had a limit cut on any credit card. I’ve continued to have limit increases especially from Lloyds banking group. I don’t think Halifax will care if you take another card. You can have as many as 5 cards within the LBG. Creation cards have a 0 forex card and they are really easy to get if you have issues with clarity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    You won’t get a limit increase this early.

Also why are you worried about utilisation? Ignore anything the “what’s affecting your score” gumpf is advising you.
  • Jlawson118Jlawson118 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the Clarity will interfere too much with getting the AMEX card, I did a similar thing just over a year ago.

Late 2016 I was being rejected for the Clarity card and 4/5 months later I applied again and was accepted, I think this was around April time. To which in May I had an AMEX advertisement, and applied to which I was accepted there too.

As long as your other credit is okay on your file then you should be all good to go
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • bd10bd10 Forumite
    168 posts
    update: just applied for the Amex Rewards Card and got accepted. Let's see what limit they'll finally offer when the papers come through.
  • A4445A4445 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    If you give them a call tomorrow they will let you know your limit over the phone. Amex customer service is always amazing!
  • maxximus75maxximus75 Forumite
    386 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    IME, Halifax tend to weigh more on internal scoring on how you have run the account, repayments etc for decisions on limit increases, new accounts etc.
  • bd10bd10 Forumite
    168 posts
    @A4445:
    You were right, I called them up, they told me the limit, card on the way. Mind you, they're a lot more generous than Halifax even on their simpler reward cards. The hard search also shows already on Experian.
  • Amex are certainly more flexible in their criteria than others.
    I applied for an AMEX 10 years ago and got refused when I had better credit.

Now I'm certainly passed the worst and on the road to a solid recovery. I opted for a charge card as I pay my spends off in full.