»

Withdraw cash on Santander Zero

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE


The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Withdraw cash on Santander Zero

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
12 replies 3.1K views
aj23_2aj23_2 Forumite
1.2K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
I'm going to Australia next week but don't want to carry a lot of cash getting there.

I have a Santander Zero credit card (and a Halifax Clarity, but I'm only taking that as a back up card in case I lose the Zero) and was thinking it would be better to withdraw cash at an ATM when I get to Australia as I read that I'm likely to get a better rate.

I checked the back of one of my statements, and it says 0% for Foreign Use (obviously) and 0% for Cash purchases.

I just want to check that by withdrawing cash on the Zero card that I'm not going to be hit with any charges, fees or interests for doing so on my next statement?
«1

Replies

  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    26.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll pay interest on the cash withdrawals until paid off.
  • aj23_2aj23_2 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    zx81 wrote: »
    You'll pay interest on the cash withdrawals until paid off.

    I think that's 1.45%?

    I reluctantly did this in Malaysia last year and I drew out £40 worth and the interest was 32p. The following month is was 2p.

    I have about $60 to take but I don't know if customs will be a bit funny that I have so little cash, despite having nearly £7k credit limit on card.
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    26.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aj23 wrote: »
    I think that's 1.45%?

    It's whatever your rate is, which varies by customer. . Thatnds like a monthly rate.
  • aj23_2aj23_2 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    zx81 wrote: »
    It's whatever your rate is, which varies by customer. . Thatnds like a monthly rate.

    It says for foreign usage:
    Non-sterling transaction fee: 0%
    Cash fee: 0%

    It says for monthly interest rates:
    Purchases: 1.45%
    Cash transactions: 1.45%
  • Jasonh2015Jasonh2015 Forumite
    48 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Hi,

    I go to Australia every year over Christmas for about a month, and have never once been asked for proof of funds, even when i was on a working holiday visa they just waved me through and i'm a UK Citizen.

    They have the smart gates so it's unlikely you'll talk to anyone in customs.
  • aj23_2aj23_2 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Jasonh2015 wrote: »
    Hi,

    I go to Australia every year over Christmas for about a month, and have never once been asked for proof of funds, even when i was on a working holiday visa they just waved me through and i'm a UK Citizen.

    They have the smart gates so it's unlikely you'll talk to anyone in customs.

    Ah right okay. I was just going by Border Control Australia on TV lol
  • eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aj23 wrote: »
    I have about $60 to take but I don't know if customs will be a bit funny that I have so little cash, despite having nearly £7k credit limit on card.
    There's no chance of that sort of problem these days.

    If you pay using your Zero or Clarity whenever possible, your need for cash withdrawals is reduced. The daily interest incurred can be limited by paying off a withdrawal early, or avoided completely if you pay as soon as it hits your account. But for such a minimal saving you may well have better things to do...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Jasonh2015Jasonh2015 Forumite
    48 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Aj23 wrote: »
    Ah right okay. I was just going by Border Control Australia on TV lol

    Yeah, I've seen the show lol

    Banking is very easy in Australia depending on how long you're staying you could get a bank account. it's very geared to back packers and all you need is a passport to open it.

    You can even open it online with commonwealth bank, the exchange rates sometimes works better bank to bank, and you can pick your card up when you arrive.
  • aj23_2aj23_2 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    eDicky wrote: »
    There's no chance of that sort of problem these days.

    If you pay using your Zero or Clarity whenever possible, your need for cash withdrawals is reduced. The daily interest incurred can be limited by paying off a withdrawal early, or avoided completely if you pay as soon as it hits your account. But for such a minimal saving you may well have better things to do...

    I tend not to pay a credit card before the statement comes in, because it can get a bit confusing on what's been paid. That said, I pay it as soon as the statement comes in.
  • EveryWhereEveryWhere PPR
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aj23 wrote: »
    I tend not to pay a credit card before the statement comes in, because it can get a bit confusing on what's been paid. That said, I pay it as soon as the statement comes in.

    https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/ for a debit card or Barclaycard Platinum Travel for a credit that charges no interest on ATM withdrawals abroad.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support