PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ground rent doubling every 15 years - Need advice

Snowman12345
Snowman12345 Posts: 14 Forumite
edited 31 August 2018 at 4:32PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi guys,

New to the forum but regular forum viewer.

I am a FTB and found my dream home! I have got my AIP and had an offer accepted on the flat, however upon agreeing on the price the EA broke the news to me that the ground rent doubles every 15 years.

The building is 13 years old so is due to double in 2 years. The EA has informed me that the owner has decided to seek legal advice and hopefully expedite this ground rent issue.

Ground rent per Annum is currently £300
Due to increase to £600 a year in 2 years

I have warned the EA that if this clause isn't removed from the ground rent I will be pulling out of the purchase.

How likely do you think it is that the owner will have success in taking this to a solicitor to have it removed? The EA has apparently said the owner is spending a few thousand to action this.

Your thoughts would be helpful?

Thanks

Comments

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hi guys,

New to the forum but regular forum viewer.

I am a FTB and found my dream home! I have got my AIP and had an offer accepted on the flat, however upon agreeing on the price the EA broke the news to me that the ground rent doubles every 15 years.

The building is 13 years old so is due to double in 2 years. The EA has informed me that the owner has decided to seek legal advice and hopefully expedite this ground rent issue.

I have warned the EA that if this clause isn't removed from the ground rent I will be pulling out of the purchase.

How likely do you think it is that the owner will have success in taking this to a solicitor to have it removed? The EA has apparently said the owner is spending a few thousand to action this.

Your thoughts would be helpful?

Thanks

How much is the ground rent as it currently is?
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Currently £300 a year

Due to increase to £600
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Find a different flat.
  • letitbe90
    letitbe90 Posts: 345 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2018 at 4:49PM
    That is an average increase of 4.8% a year to reach the doubled figure, isn't that bad. Ground rent doubling scaremongering is overblown except for maybe a few cases, maybe if the period was say 10 years making it an increase of 7.2% per year?

And because you don't pay the 4.8% extra a year, it isn't so bad for you, realistically the cost is closer to say 3% a year extra.

If we assumed it started at £600 and you lived there for 30 years, you'd pay 15 years at £600 and 15 years at £1200. Total of £27,000 over 30 years or £900 average per year.

If instead of doubling it increased by 3% a year, the total cost would be £28,545.25, more expensive. If it was to increase by 2% (inflation target) it would be £24340.85, so only slightly cheaper.
  • That is an average increase of 4.8% a year, isn't that bad. Ground rent doubling scaremongering is overblown except for maybe a few cases, maybe if the period was say 10 years making it an increase of 7.2% per year?

I know it isn't a huge increase, I am prepared to pay it but I have seen on a few occasions that lenders don't typically like it for a mortgage
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    walk, not worth the hassle, you will find it hard to resell when you do
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Has anyone ever come across a case of the clause being removed by the management company through a solicitor?

Or is it wishful thinking?

Thanks
  • letitbe90
    I know it isn't a huge increase, I am prepared to pay it but I have seen on a few occasions that lenders don't typically like it for a mortgage

That is true, I think it is silly they won't accept 15 year doubling which I think is okay (as it equates to around 3% a year in real terms as you don't pay any extra until it doubles). They should really decline on 5/10 year double clauses only.
  • letitbe90
    edited 31 August 2018 at 4:57PM
    Has anyone ever come across a case of the clause being removed by the management company through a solicitor?

Or is it wishful thinking?

Thanks

Wishful perhaps because if they do it for you, they have to do it for everyone. Maybe a more likely scenario would be buying the freehold itself (or a share of the freehold with others), but I don't know how lengthy or expensive that process would/could be (especially since you aren't currently the owner). Probably unfeasible the more I think about it.
  • Wishful perhaps because if they do it for you, they have to do it for everyone. Maybe a more likely scenario would be buying the freehold itself, but I don't know how lengthy or expensive that process would/could be (especially since you aren't currently the owner).

Yeah that is how I feel. It's been on the market for 6 months with a 10% price drop. Its priced very well for the area and style. Obviously this is a major issue for buyers.

I have my heart set on the flat with a promise from the EA this should go through, they feel fairly confident.

It is probably fair to say that I should keep looking elsewhere
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport