Barclays and Direct Debits

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
6 replies 731 views
lufcgirllufcgirl Forumite
1.9K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
Hey everyone,

I have a current account with Barclays bank and have a direct debit set up for the 1st of every month.

With it being the 1st tomorrow, and I know if I'm due to be paid on the Monday my wages would go in on the Saturday, will the direct debit be taken tomorrow as a Saturday transaction or on Monday?

First time I've had this before, so wanted to check as I know Barclays are different to other banks in terms of Saturday transactions.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• PRAISETHESUNPRAISETHESUN Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    As far as I'm aware most banks will date all weekend transactions as the date they should have occurred, but actually won't move the funds until the following working day (so the funds would only need to be present on the Monday in your case). Barclays is one of the few high street banks I don't have experience with though, so I can't confirm if they behave differently. I suspect not though
  • Shakin_SteveShakin_Steve Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It will be taken Monday and dated Monday. It can't be dated Saturday as that date is a non-banking day.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • lufcgirllufcgirl Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    It will be taken Monday and dated Monday. It can't be dated Saturday as that date is a non-banking day.

I appreciate that.

I just wanted to check as when I banked with Natwest (and I believe they used to work in a similar way to Barclays as that they class Saturday morning as a standard banking day), that a direct debit due out on Monday would come out of your bank Saturday. And that if you were due to be credited any money on Monday it would go into your bank on the Saturday. I think Natwest changed their rules and Saturday banking ceased to exist in January with them, however Barclays still do process transactions on a Saturday morning in terms of credits, but debits I was curious about.
  • Terry_TowellingTerry_Towelling Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a Barclays current account with several DDRs set to go on the 1st of the month. I've just checked the last time we had a Saturday 1st and that was in July 2017. All my DDRs from that time went on Monday 3rd - so you should be OK.
  • Shakin_SteveShakin_Steve Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    lufcgirl wrote: »
    I appreciate that.

I just wanted to check as when I banked with Natwest (and I believe they used to work in a similar way to Barclays as that they class Saturday morning as a standard banking day), that a direct debit due out on Monday would come out of your bank Saturday. And that if you were due to be credited any money on Monday it would go into your bank on the Saturday. I think Natwest changed their rules and Saturday banking ceased to exist in January with them, however Barclays still do process transactions on a Saturday morning in terms of credits, but debits I was curious about.

My state pension goes in on a Saturday morning with the following Monday's date next to it.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • flo22flo22 Forumite
    163 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Barclays apply credits on the Saturday and debits on the Monday
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides