Forum Home» Motoring

Why is guarantee ridiculously short when buying a user car from a trade seller in the UK?

New Post Advanced Search

Why is guarantee ridiculously short when buying a user car from a trade seller in the UK?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
10 replies 794 views
gilbutregilbutre Forumite
423 posts
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
In France you get 3 months guarantee anywhere and it's easy to negotiate 6 months.

In Birmingham I see 1 month included in the price everywhere. One month. What the hell? Why not one day? And for 3 months which is still short IMO you have to pay like £200 extra. Again what the hell.

End of venting, thanks.

Replies

• You're buying from the wrong places
  • loskieloskie Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    look at your consumer rights, not the warranty.
  • ExemplarExemplar Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    We just bought a 2011 Pug 3008 from a Pug main dealer in Hinckley. Came with a 2 year FULL Pug main dealer warranty with no excess. We paid no more than 'normal' dealers forecourt prices for the car.

You Sir are buying from the wrong places.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    40.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much are you paying for the car in Brum, compared to what the same type/age of car would cost in France?

Now how much margin is in that for the dealer?
  • bigisibigisi
    925 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Move (back?) to France!

Simples.
  • motorguymotorguy Forumite
    21.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gilbutre wrote: »
    In France you get 3 months guarantee anywhere and it's easy to negotiate 6 months.

In Birmingham I see 1 month included in the price everywhere. One month. What the hell? Why not one day? And for 3 months which is still short IMO you have to pay like £200 extra. Again what the hell.

End of venting, thanks.

You;re looking in the wrong places and / or at the wrong price point of cars.
  • AndyMc.....AndyMc.....
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    motorguy wrote: »
    You;re looking in the wrong places and / or at the wrong price point of cars.

I think he's looking at the wrong end of the Birmingham market where even the three month warranty isn't worth the paper irs written on.
  • cajefcajef Forumite
    6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    In view of you only being offered £100 for your vehicle in your other thread I assume you are looking at the cheaper end of market, that is the sort of warranty you get unless you are paying for a more recent vehicle.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke. :|
  • jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    14.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gilbutre wrote: »

End of venting, thanks.

Pay £20k for a car and you'll get more warranty.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spend more than £100 on the car and get a longer warranty?

Looked at one recently where they have their own workshop, they will give a full years warranty on everything... for cars over £2000.
    They can fix the cars themselves so costs to repair are minimal and they dont buy junk cars either, Mostly cars over £4k. But a few well looked after cars also crop up from time to time for much less.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support