Monzo for main account

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
22 replies 10.7K views
roadblock15roadblock15 Forumite
29 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
Is anybody using Monzo as their main current account.

I currently use Barclays and Halifax, but want to open a Monzo account and close either Barclays or Lloyd’s.

But has anyone else used Monzo as their main account for their wages etc?

Do I have any need to feel nervous about moving to a new app only bank?

Even though deposits are protected, guessing Monzo is less likely to exist in 5 years compared to Barclays.

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Where are you getting your assumptions from?
  • surreysaversurreysaver Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    There have been occasions when Monzo's systems have been down, but that could happen with any bank. I would prefer it if my main account had some humans on a high street I could go and visit if I needed to.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I would prefer it if my main account had some humans on a high street I could go and visit if I needed to.

I think you've answer your own question there then.

When you say main current account, do you mean where bills are paid from, or do you mean your main spending account, or do you use one for both?

Maybe you could use Monzo for just spending, and keep one of your legacy banks as your main current account for bills.

I had the same concerns. I use Natwest, and I use my Monzo for small petty cash purchases.
  • PRAISETHESUNPRAISETHESUN Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only reason I haven't moved to an app-only bank like Monzo is the lack of physical branches - it makes things THAT much easier to deal with problems face to face than via an online chat/call centre, particularly when online services go down (a major issue for an online-only bank). Apart from that issue, as Monzo has a banking licence and is protected by FSCS I would have absolutely no worries about having my wages, etc paid into the account. They have as much protection as Barclays or any other regulated high street bank.

As for whether or not they will be around in 5 years, no-one can really say, but they are growing quite fast and there seems to be a general trend towards moving to more online-integrated financial services so I think they are here to stay for the foreseeable future
  • takmantakman
    3.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There have been occasions when Monzo's systems have been down, but that could happen with any bank. I would prefer it if my main account had some humans on a high street I could go and visit if I needed to.
    The only reason I haven't moved to an app-only bank like Monzo is the lack of physical branches - it makes things THAT much easier to deal with problems face to face than via an online chat/call centre, particularly when online services go down (a major issue for an online-only bank).

If you have any issues by the time you how long it takes to travel to a branch and arrange a time to go when they are open and your not busy you can solve most problems over the phone from the comfort of your own home or wherever you happen to be.

The staff in the branch are also only able to deal with very basic problems directly and anything else they have to contact the same departments as you would if you rang them directly. So their really isn't any benefit in visiting a branch and really is just and inconvenience.
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Board Guide
    12.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the rate the main banks are closing down branches I seriously doubt there will be many bank branches left in about 5 years time. Our last bank to close in our town is Barclays and that is closing down December. Only alternative is to go into a local city centre and then wait for ages to see someone if it is something out of the ordinary. I went into our local city centre branch of Nat West to close a current account this week. Two hours wait to see a customer service advisor. I am not sure what the advantage of using Monzo is though.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected]
  • surreysaversurreysaver Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sweetcake wrote: »
    I think you've answer your own question there then.

When you say main current account, do you mean where bills are paid from, or do you mean your main spending account, or do you use one for both?

Maybe you could use Monzo for just spending, and keep one of your legacy banks as your main current account for bills.

I had the same concerns. I use Natwest, and I use my Monzo for small petty cash purchases.

I wasn't asking a question. The only reason I have a Monzo card is to provide a source of debit card payments for accounts needing debit card payments to obtain cashback
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • venomxvenomx Forumite
    832 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I have monzo for everything, and have done for the past few months.. no problems
  • edited 2 September 2018 at 2:30PM
    ozazozaz Forumite
    306 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 2 September 2018 at 2:30PM
    I am not sure what the advantage of using Monzo is though.

In my opinion the main advantage is what Monzo would term real-time banking. Your account gets debited instantly when you use the card instead of after a lag of hours/days. This helps keep track of your spending in a similar way to cash (you always know exactly what you have left).

Other useful features compared to typical banks include enhanced transaction information, spending analytics, and commision free foreign transactions at the Mastercard conversion rate.
  • edited 2 September 2018 at 2:16PM
    ozazozaz Forumite
    306 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 2 September 2018 at 2:16PM
    Is anybody using Monzo as their main current account.

I currently use Barclays and Halifax, but want to open a Monzo account and close either Barclays or Lloyd’s.

But has anyone else used Monzo as their main account for their wages etc?

Do I have any need to feel nervous about moving to a new app only bank?

Even though deposits are protected, guessing Monzo is less likely to exist in 5 years compared to Barclays.

I've been using Monzo for about 1.5 years. I use it for everything except receiving my wages and paying household bills by direct debits. The reason I don't receive my wages in Monzo is because I occasionaly show the app to people and I don't want them seeing my salary in my transaction feed. The reason I pay household bills from another bank is because I receive cashback for doing so. Without these reasons I'd happily do everything from Monzo.

However I'd receomend keeping an account with at least one high street bank as well. Monzo don't yet have a way of depositing cash directly into your account, and depositing cheques involves posting the cheque to them (at least until they sort out cheque imaging). They also don't do cheque books and perhaps never will.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals