Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

RAC membership Premium up 25%

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
9 replies 1K views
Darenth87Darenth87 Forumite
67 Posts
Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
Last year £31.99 this year £41.99 for roadside

anybody else had this shocking increase? never had a call out.

i expect a few % increase to maybe £34-35 but who else gets a 25% increase in anything ! I'll be ringing them.

I see topcashback offer "up to £8 cashback" which would put me back to £34 from £42 but always sceptical that they work.

any ideas?

Replies

• DipakDipak Forumite
    207 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Ditch them and move to someone else!!

Have you looked into packaged Bank Accounts that offer breakdown included plus other things. You'll need to check if the level of cover if suitable for you.

I decided to go down that route as it was suitable for me.

Hope that helps

Cheers,
    Dipak
  • facadefacade Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ring them up and speak to retentions, tell them you have to go elsewhere as the increase is so high, but would prefer to stay with them if the price came down again.

You have to do this with everything nowadays, cable TV, insurance, RAC/AA, energy......

If you stay loyal, and just accept renewals (never ever ever let anyone keep you card on file, for "auto-renewal" ) you will be mercilessly punished.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • sevenhillssevenhills Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think I paid £47 with Green Flag, but it depends what cover you have. I am insured for breakdown, not just the car.

• lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    14.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    facade wrote: »
    Ring them up and speak to retentions, tell them you have to go elsewhere as the increase is so high, but would prefer to stay with them if the price came down again.

You have to do this with everything nowadays, cable TV, insurance, RAC/AA, energy......

If you stay loyal, and just accept renewals (never ever ever let anyone keep you card on file, for "auto-renewal" ) you will be mercilessly punished.

Exactly what I did with my RAC renewal and got it for the same price as I've paid for past 2/3 yrs, a saving on 2018 renewal quoted price of 30%.

Last year my car insurance customer adviser (good title) advised me to phone them up when I get my renewal through as there is always a deal to be done.

I agree it would be better if companies gave a competitive renewal price first, but it seems that is not the way it works.
  • d0nkeyk0ngd0nkeyk0ng Forumite
    811 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. My RAC renewal came this year and it was the same price as last year. The AA tried ringing and posted offers that were more than RAC. I had expected to jump between them annually as I have been for the last four years.
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could try Aviva. Their breakdown cover is just RAC with a different name on the policy documents. They are cheaper for me.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • GothicStirlingGothicStirling Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    What's £10 when you've broken down on a motorway hard shoulder? If a tenner makes you break out in a sweat, I think you have a problem.
  • tonyh66tonyh66 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    What's £10 when you've broken down on a motorway hard shoulder? If a tenner makes you break out in a sweat, I think you have a problem.

£10 better off in my pocket than their pocket;)
  • seatbeltnoobseatbeltnoob Forumite
    937 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    the most basic of breakdown cover, not worth it IMO. You need to get cover to toe you to any UK destination of your choice.

Otherwise they'll take you to one of their affiliate garages during a breakdown who will fleece you with a massive bill.

I'd rather get them toe me back to my local garage to do the remedial works.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals