Credit Card Fees

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
4 replies 732 views
shaungraham89shaungraham89 Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
Recently paid off the balance of a cruise which was booked May 2017. Paid over the phone and that was fine. I then got an email a day later saying I needed to call back to pay the "Card fee" of £44. The card fee which was shown on the bill that i called up to pay off was £3.75. So i'm not sure why they are now saying it's considerably more.

I'm aware card fees are no longer charged but they are arguing because the booking was made before the ban.

Anyone any experience of this?

cheers

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    32.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's correct that they can charge you a card fee based on the date of your booking.

It should however be the fee statesmen you agreed the contract.
  • PRAISETHESUNPRAISETHESUN Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The original booking should detail all the charges you need to pay, including any card fees. I'd check the terms and conditions you agreed to when you made the booking - it should outline any of the fees they were allowed to charge
  • on their site it states

"We will charge you for any additional handling fees incurred by us in respect of payment through a debit or credit card and in addition to the price of your trip, there will be a booking fee payable per person. All such fees will be highlighted to you during the course of making your booking."

When I rang on monday to pay, the employee who handled the payment made no mention of a credit card fee. Just took the payment for the remaining balance and that was it. Seems like they should have informed me that if I was going to pay by credit card there would be an added fee.

Maybe because fees are now banned the person probably doesn't tell people this any longer?
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    32.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably - and also because you would have been told about the fee at the time of booking.

Their site needs updating though.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals