Solicitors employed in Administration of an Estate ?

Options
Hi all,
I would very much appreciate any advice, knowledge or previous experience anyone has of the following question please.

I am sole living Executor named on my Father's Will, which was written in 1998 as my Mother has since passed away.
The Will was written by Dad's Solicitors and I have noticed it includes the sentence.

"I DESIRE THAT (SOLICITORS FIRM) SHALL BE EMPLOYED IN CONNECTION IN ADMINISTRATION OF MY ESTATE".
Does anyone know what this really means and what is the purpose of it being there ?

Is this a standard phrase that has to be included in a Will, when drawn up by Solicitors.....or to be frank, is it a crafty way of ensuring that they now have the legal right to be involved or fully deal with my Dad's estate, with all the unknown costs that would involve.

I am fully aware that as the Executor it is possible to deal with most if not all of the estate matters myself, so how does that wording affect or interfere with my rights to do just that ?

Do i still have the authority to deal with matters myself and insist upon doing so, OR do the Solicitors basically now have control and do what they want ?

Any help is very much appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

• Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Your father is expressing a wish (drafted by the solicitor named no doubt!!) which you can choose to ignore if you want.[/FONT]
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Its just an expression of wish, it is not binding.
    Obviously your dad approved it, it may be that at the time, he felt that they were familiar with his affairs and he trusted them, so felt they would be helpful.

It's basically your dad's recommendation to you, which you can follow or not as you wish. It doesn't change your rights at all, not does it give the solicitors any rights.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It might be useful "in case" there turned out to be any squabbling. But they do charge an arm and a leg. Ours, 2011, cost £160+VAT per hour. So, if you don't need them, best ignore that bit ... and only use that clause if there's a problem/disagreement over the Will.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure