Why does my name affect my insurance?

Options
I've just done my first car insurance renewal. Been with admiral for a year, told them I was leaving because their new quote was £2,400 (which is actually more than I was paying the year before!) and I was getting quotes of £900 elsewhere (including Admiral...). The lady over the phone was doing her best to match the price to the one on the comparison site, but something went a bit wrong.

My surname has an apostrophe, and a lot of websites won't let you enter apostrophes, so I had to enter my surname without it. When the Admiral lady matched my quote and was able to include an apostrophe, it shot up from £900 to £1300 on the comparison site because they could 'track my history'.

Two questions:
  • If the details I've entered in the comparison site are the same, why does my name make a difference?
  • Are these figures normal for a 25 year old firefighter with a year's no claims bonus, driving a 1.6 Skoda?!

I've never been in an accident or made a claim in any way on my insurance. So what could they get from my 'history' that makes a difference to my risk factor? Worth submitting a freedom of information request to see what details they hold on me?

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I
    [*]Are these figures normal for a 25 year old firefighter with a year's no claims bonus, driving a 1.6 Skoda?!
    [/LIST]

Yes. They look spot on.
  • itsnathanhere
    Options
    Thanks! Reading back it looks like I was having a moan - just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a plonker :D
  • Trentenders
    Trentenders Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Take the apostrophe off again(?).
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When the Admiral lady matched my quote and was able to include an apostrophe, it shot up from £900 to £1300 on the comparison site because they could 'track my history'.
    So what could they get from my 'history' that makes a difference to my risk factor?

It's almost certainly this:
    Been with admiral for a year,..

Admiral probably offer new customers a discount in their first year (so you probably got that discount last year).

Once the system matched your name, it realised that you are not a new customer - so the 'new customer discount' was removed.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just be a tart and move on, there is no loyalty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure