Provinicail Insurance

Was going through some old papers and found a certificate issued by Provincial Insurance Public Limited Company, for Mortgage Protection (Redundancy) Insurance for when I purchased a property back in 1987. I have tried to track Provincial but can't find them, the insurance was arranged through Barratt. Thought they had become AXA but they say it's not them, does anyone have any ideas please.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It was bought by AXA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Life_%26_Provincial_Holdings

However, if you have an insurance complaint, you need to go to who sold it to you - which appears to be Barratt.
  • cjane
    cjane Posts: 17
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Do you know how I should submit a claim through Barratts?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    cjane wrote: »
    Do you know how I should submit a claim through Barratts?
    Write to them perhaps?
    You complain directly to the seller, not through them.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The insurer/provider has no liabilty for the complaint. The seller does. 1987 is 18 years prior to regulation. So, no-one to complain to.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    1987 is 18 years prior to regulation. So, no-one to complain to.
    Well, technically he can still make a complaint, but the recipient does not have to consider it. ;)
  • cjane
    cjane Posts: 17
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    After sending emails to Barratt Homes and providing them with documentation proof that I paid for the PPI cover arranged by them, I have received this reply and now don't know what to do. Am I being fobbed off?
    '[FONT=&quot]Your email of 4 October 2018 addressed to Anthony Armstrong at our Newcastle office has been forwarded to myself.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The records which would relate to the sale of this property to you have not been retained.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We can however confirm that, in connection with your purchase of the property you would, as you have identified, have obtained independent legal advice from the solicitors acting on your behalf. It may be that if a mortgage was taken out in relation to the property, which appears to be the case, that you will also have received independent financial advice in relation to your purchase and all matters arising from it.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Unfortunately therefore we must respectfully refer you to those who provided you with such advice at the time you purchased the property, which advice would have included advice in relation to the policy taken out. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]In the circumstances in the event that you consider you were poorly advised in relation to this policy, which obviously we are not in a position to comment upon, then this is a matter for you to take up with your advisers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We apologise we are unable to assist you further.'[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The confirmation of cover is on Barratt Newcastle letter headed paper, and the financial advice this person says I received I don't remember getting. Should I go to the Financial Ombudsman with this? Any advice would be appreciated.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,625
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    cjane wrote: »
    After sending emails to Barratt Homes and providing them with documentation proof that I paid for the PPI cover arranged by them, I have received this reply and now don't know what to do. Am I being fobbed off?
    '[FONT=&quot]Your email of 4 October 2018 addressed to Anthony Armstrong at our Newcastle office has been forwarded to myself.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The records which would relate to the sale of this property to you have not been retained.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We can however confirm that, in connection with your purchase of the property you would, as you have identified, have obtained independent legal advice from the solicitors acting on your behalf. It may be that if a mortgage was taken out in relation to the property, which appears to be the case, that you will also have received independent financial advice in relation to your purchase and all matters arising from it.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Unfortunately therefore we must respectfully refer you to those who provided you with such advice at the time you purchased the property, which advice would have included advice in relation to the policy taken out. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]In the circumstances in the event that you consider you were poorly advised in relation to this policy, which obviously we are not in a position to comment upon, then this is a matter for you to take up with your advisers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We apologise we are unable to assist you further.'[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The confirmation of cover is on Barratt Newcastle letter headed paper, and the financial advice this person says I received I don't remember getting. Should I go to the Financial Ombudsman with this? Any advice would be appreciated.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

You've been told what was said earlier in the post - Barratt did not sell you anything so have no liability for miss-sale
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    Forumite
    You have nowhere to go with this. If it was sold via a broker, they weren't regulated prior to 2005. The FOS have no jurisdiction here.
    It's game over, so forget about it.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The confirmation of cover is on Barratt Newcastle letter headed paper, and the financial advice this person says I received I don't remember getting. Should I go to the Financial Ombudsman with this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Why would you go to the ombudsman?
    Barrett didnt sell you any financial products. Yet you are complaining to them about the sale of financial products. The FOS can't help you

As Barretts are not a regulated company, they can actually start a counterclaim against you for costs if you keep this up.

Why are you even bothering to post here? You were told on this thread you had no-one to complain to but you ignored the responses. Are you going to ignore these follow up posts as well?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • cjane wrote: »
    Am I being fobbed off?
    No, you have simply received the answer that the forum predicted you would receive back in August. If you contact the Ombudsman, you will receive the same information for a third time.

Stop wasting your time with this..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport