Euro travel card

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
8 replies 694 views
sanfairyannesanfairyanne Forumite
99 Posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
I have quite a lot of euros in cash and as I'm going to mainland Europe for six months I want to get a bank card. Is there any way of getting a card?

It clearly makes no sense to use my debit card to convert sterling to euros when I have euros in cash. Needless to say though, I don't want to carry around a bag of cash.

Many thanks in advance

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    32.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can get one, a credit card with no forex fees, such as Halifax Clarity, is the best option.
  • sanfairyannesanfairyanne Forumite
    99 Posts
    Zx81,

I once backpacked in Australia, I opened a basic bank account when I was over there. I guess I could never have asked for a loan! Like I say it was a super basic card. I was hoping something like that existed in Europe, considering I have Euros in cash I'd like to spend them rather than obtain a credit card even if there are no forex fees.
  • eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You will not find any UK bank or prepaid card on which you can directly load cash euros. You could open a bank account in the eurozone, such as KBC Ireland, then go there with your cash, deposit it and use the debit card. Otherwise, just carry and use the cash.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • edited 29 August 2018 at 7:49PM
    sanfairyannesanfairyanne Forumite
    99 Posts
    edited 29 August 2018 at 7:49PM
    eDicky,

Carrying around six months worth of Euros isn't an option. I'm looking into KBC Ireland, but it appears that you must be a resident of Ireland.
  • edited 29 August 2018 at 9:21PM
    eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 August 2018 at 9:21PM
    I'm looking into KBC Ireland, but it appears that you must be a resident of Ireland.
    Not true, you can use a UK address and tax id, unless it's changed lately. If you search the Budgeting & Bank Accounts board for 'KBC' you will see that many have found it the easiest option, although there are others in Ireland, Germany and France.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Emily_JoyEmily_Joy Forumite
    514 Posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I think you need to be more specific. I do know for sure that it is possible to open a bank account in France without being a resident...
    99 Posts
    Emily and eDicky,
    Thanks very much, I'm about to start work in half an hour, but I'll look further into KBC later, I don't speak French, so it would be easier than trying to open an account in France.
    99 Posts
    eDicky,
    I just thought I'd follow this up with a message to say I called KBC and you're right, it is possible to set up a Euro account (despite being from England). The account has a 2 euro per month fee which is waived if the account gets €2500 or more paid in per month. There's a fee of 30c per ATM withdrawal, but no fees for purchases. Thanks very much for the advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals