Parents Helping - Advice Please

in Credit Cards
4 replies 566 views
Hi all - some advice please?

My parents are taking out a credit card to consolidate some debt for me and I would like to know

1. Can they transfer my balance on to their card under the interest free schemes given the cards are in different names?

2. If not, is there a way around it?

Many thanks

Replies

• They maybe able to but some cards companies dont allow debt from other people to be added.

Money transfer card is another option.

You might want to cancel your card as soon as the balance has been cleared though to stop you running up debts again. If it were me I would make you default on your credit cards for at least 4 months then pay them off for you....that way your credit file would be trashed for a while so you wouldnt take out more credit you cannot afford to pay back.

Wish you all the best lucks.
  • MallyGirlMallyGirl Forumite, Senior Ambassador
    5.8K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    It depends on the car. Tesco won't allow it but most do. If they do the BT online they can avoid the awkward questions as it only asks for the long card number usually.

You are very lucky that they are prepared to do this for you - make sure you thank them by paying it all off within the 0% period
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected].
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thanks. None of the accounts are open and it isn’t the case that I would default, I currently pay just under £150 a month towards what is now a £3,000 debt which I have been working on for three years (couldn’t always afford £150) but my credit is shot due to previous financial issues and I cannot consolidate on my own. I’m paying interest on three of the cards. The rest of the debt is utility bills from a difficult time four plus years ago.
  • Thanks Mally, I’m on target to pay off within 20 mos so hoping they can get one of the 28 mo cards. I haven’t asked them before now as needed to evidence some consistency with my existing payments which I can now.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides