eBay postage

Options
Apologies if this is an obvious question!

If I sell an item via ebay, do I save any postage costs if I pay for Royal Mail postage through eBay, instead of going straight to the post office?

And, I know ebay take 10% commission for postage costs- if I pay for postage through eBay, do I save on commission?

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you checked the price for your parcel on ebay and Royal Mail sites?

IME the RM prices are the same as over the counter prices, but I use a business account, if you sell a bit on eBay it may be worth looking into that. At the very least you should have a Click and Drop account with Royal Mail to take advantage of quick postage, label printing if you need it and proof of delivery on your parcels.

When using a third party to book, you need to consider how easy it will be to claim should something go wrong. I would rather claim direct than have to do it via another agent.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,203 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Buying via ebay only gives the usual 5p discount on small parcels that you can also get via the standard click and drop.Courier costs via Shutl can vary and ti is worth always checking what ebay are going to charge against the courier's latest price before you buy a label. At one point ebay had a good deal on MyHermes, but then they upped the price and with the new print in shop (which I think is still on) it became cheaper to buy direct especially for larger parcels.

RM is generally cheaper for anything other than a parcel, but you can use a mix of both RM and couriers as many of us do.

The 10% FVFs is payable wherever you buy your postage.

Lastly, as a new seller you may well be subject to the 21 day hold in paypal for all your funds, one tip to cover your postage costs is to use ebay postage for those sales as they will allow the cost to be taken from the balance.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure