ebay oddball

I bought a used motorcycle engine , item was supposed to be delivered last monday by UPS , followed tracking until
"local depot" item has been damaged we will contact sender"

I contacted the sender and told him what had happened and I was not going to get the item

the sender gave me a refund ,he asked me for my paypal address , not thru ebay but what seems to be "friends and family"

2 days later I get a message from him with local UPS depot details , I ring them and the engine has overturned and oil is everywhere

they will not deliver or return to sender as its "contaminated

the engine was collected by a friend in his works van , seller is now messaging me for payment .

UPS were fuming.as they do not carry engines containing oil

friend was going to deliver via his car , however box has disintegrated and the engine is sat in a plastic bag full of oil and damp cardboard

the engine needs removing , power washing and all contaminated cardboard disposing of , he has offered to do this before delivering to me , cost £20

am I correct in saying to seller , here is "x" money , I have deducted £20 for cleaning ?

or ask him for return label - ups etc will NOT accept engine as it is

Comments

• the sender gave me a refund
    [...]
    the engine was collected by a friend in his works van
    If you had received a refund, why did you ask a friend to collect the engine?
    Philip
  • twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 August 2018 at 12:16PM
    because the seller messaged me with the UPS depot number and suggested I go and collect it

"Just had a call from ups to say the engine is at their depot at leyland pr252ds
    Number is 0177245678
    The parcel has just been turned upside down and the engine oil has leaked out
    Up to you if you want to collect it
    Let me know your thoughts
    Regards Gary"

"They can’t deliver it to you because of the oil leak
    You could try ring them and see what they can do"

at present its in the back of my mates van (he works on same industrial estate as UPS )- which is about 15 moles from me , he was going to drop ot off in his car today as he is passing , but now states its to contaminated to be placed in a car
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    A friends and family payment can still be subject of a chargeback - in essence, your received funds are not secure, not as secure as a refund on your original payment.

You have to decide if you want to keep the item or not before anyone can advise what to do now, but certainly, you cannot keep it without paying for it (what the amount is, is down to negotiation).
  • the original question was could or can I reasonably hold back a cleaning charge

having read hundreds of articles on here and other sites , I was actually under the impression that "friends and family payments were NOT refundable , even the police (gumtree type scenarios) state they cannot help retract monies
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    the original question was could or can I reasonably hold back a cleaning charge

having read hundreds of articles on here and other sites , I was actually under the impression that "friends and family payments were NOT refundable , even the police (gumtree type scenarios) state they cannot help retract monies

If they claim the payment was made fraudulently, i.e. Not by them, the. PayPal would have to refund them. Whilst fraudulent claims to banks are investigated in some depth, PayPal don't really have to worry, as it's your money they are refunding.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • thanks , however your views on, "the original question was could or can I reasonably hold back a cleaning charge "

I do intend paying or repaying , but why should I be out of pocket , UPS REFUSED to deliver , and time and money will need to be spent to make the part usable

as a side note when I rung UPS depot , they stated the engine would NOT be returned to sender as it was contaminated and he had not stated contents correctly , they stated if not collected it would be disposed of/destroyed
  • Brywalker
    Brywalker Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You could just ask the seller if he's okay with you deducting the cleaning charge. I'd imagine he'd probably be fine with it.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    thanks , however your views on, "the original question was could or can I reasonably hold back a cleaning charge "

I do intend paying or repaying , but why should I be out of pocket , UPS REFUSED to deliver , and time and money will need to be spent to make the part usable

as a side note when I rung UPS depot , they stated the engine would NOT be returned to sender as it was contaminated and he had not stated contents correctly , they stated if not collected it would be disposed of/destroyed

You can try asking for a discounted price, or else you can ask the seller to arrange to collect it as 'faulty/damaged'.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • thanks , UPS , and others will not transport it until cleaned and re packed .
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Or you could just bag it and then box it. No risk of leaks then.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure