Forum Home» Insurance & Life Assurance

Changing job description for cheaper car insurance... how far is too far?

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Changing job description for cheaper car insurance... how far is too far?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
8 replies 1.1K views
thegadgetladthegadgetlad Forumite
1 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Hi everyone, looking to get first-time car insurance shortly. Upon searching for a premium I found that by changing my job description from 'Window Cleaner' to simply 'Cleaner' I could knock about £400 off my cheapest quote (brought it down from around £1600 to £1200). Would you say that this would be a wise thing to do, or do I risk problems further down the line? In my mind it's technically true albeit a little misleading, but do you think it would really be that big of a deal?

Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• ZorilloZorillo Forumite
    766 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    No, that's misrepresentation and would see you get your policy cancelled. A window cleaner and a cleaner are both clearly defined trades and not the same thing.
  • csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope you haven't been using your real details in those quotes as there is anti fraud algorithms
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ PIxie RIP
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    23.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Window cleaner, carrying ladders around, visiting multiple properties a day, far more so than your average cleaner. The premiums are probably that much higher for a reason.
    Have you looked at adding a named driver with a clean driving record to your policy? That can bring it down a bit.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • KynthiaKynthia Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would a reasonable person think your job description was accurate? No I don't think most people would think "cleaner" was an accurate description for a window cleaner.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • marlotmarlot Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you offered other services, then Handyman might work? But I too think cleaner isn't appropiate.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    elsien wrote: »
    a clean driving record .

Cleaned by a professional document restorer perhaps? Or just a wipe with a J-cloth?
    :)
  • I have a similar dilemma with my insurers.

I rang to get a quote to renew today and they are well off the price of the competition.

To try and get a better deal, I let them do a multi-quote to include my home insurance, which is with them but as another brand.

They mentioned that on my car policy I am described as a handyman, but on the house insurance I am down as a Technical Engineer. The handyman option wasn't available when seeking the house insurance, so the engineer description was the other closest and most honest one I could have chosen.

They tried to get me to pay £30 to change my occupations to match. He got a bit ranty and implied I was acting fraudulently, until I explained that for my work activities both descriptions are true of my role. We do a lot for our customer. Over the weekend I was removing and replacing several hundred rusty screws from a decked walkway. But then I also do more complicated work such as conducting maintenance and repairs to motors, lighting etc. He then just told me to be careful of how I describe myself in future and gave up chasing me for the extra money.

Pointless anyway. Even with the multi-policy effect they were still £150 more and the cover would only run until 6th July (when I took the house policy out and it's due to renew), effectively asking me to pay more for only 10 months cover.
  • dacouchdacouch Forumite
    21.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A handyman is not a technical engineer