Flatmate Asked My Boyfriend to Pay Some of Power Bill

So my flat recently received a power bill that was quite a bit higher than the previous month. My flatmate said that she had been talking to my other flatmate and they wanted my boyfriend to pay some of the bill. I said it was fine as I don't like to start drama, but this didn't sit well with me to be honest. She said that he stays there most days and nights, which is not true as I'm at Uni and am too busy to spend this much time with him. In the holidays he has stayed for many days in a row, which I understand may seem excessive but it was never stated in my contract that I couldn't do this and as my flatmates have never even seemed slightly bothered by his staying there, I didn't see any problem. When he stays over he is in my room the entire time except to go to the bathroom and help me with my dinner when I ask. He never hangs around in the kitchen or lounge, and he is a quiet guy. He never makes a mess in any part of the house either. The other thing is he literally uses basically no power. He has never charged his phone at my house, or brought his laptop. He never showers here, he only helps me with cooking but never uses the oven or anything for himself. He has used the microwave one time. As he was staying long before the increased bill, he obviously did not cause it. He also lives at home which is why I can't stay at his house. In general he is a quiet, nice guy who keeps to himself. He has also helped around the house by mowing lawns, taking out bins etc. Because of all this, I really don't think he should have to pay for a bill he doesn't contribute to, and he couldn't be more out of the way. Two flatmates also have boyfriends over who did not contribute to the bill, with their argument being they don't stay as much as mine. Can anyone tell me if I'm being unreasonable?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't think they should ask him directly, if that is what they have done. But they would be reasonable in asking you for an extra contribution (which you can ask your boyfriend to pay), because it would be sensible to assume that an extra person spending a lot of time there is using some additional electricity. You'll probably struggle to prove that he used none at all, so your best bet is to find out what did cause the increase and show that either somebody else is responsible or it's something that should be shared between all tenants.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,038
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Is it not likely that the increased bills are due to you being there during the day because it's the holidays and you haven't been out at Uni?

What about your other flatmates are they students too or do they work?

How big an increase are we talking about?
  • Spendless wrote: »
    Is it not likely that the increased bills are due to you being there during the day because it's the holidays and you haven't been out at Uni?

What about your other flatmates are they students too or do they work?

How big an increase are we talking about?

I agree with this, that the increased bill is probably because your all at home more often then during uni.
    But i personally dont think its fair for him to be asked to pay if he is NOT contributing to the bills, might be fair to say if they want him to contribute then there boyfriends should also contribute as they stay there also?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure