Terminating an energy contract

Options
I've been reading the thread from Sep 2012 entitled "How to get meters removed and supplies capped?" with interest. (As a new user I'm not allowed to post links). It reflects my own experience so far with Green Star energy.

I have a three year fixed term contract with Green Star for my house and attached flat that comes to an end in October. Two supplies, two accounts. Last year we had major building work done and I took the opportunity to get the supplies merged. The supply to the flat is now fed from the house for both electricity and gas. The original meters to the flat have been capped and disconnected. The meters are still in place. All this work was carried out by certified professionals.

I contacted Green Star before getting the work done to ask for their advice. Like the poster in the thread above, I was unsure about the procedure and wanted to make sure I did things properly. They advised me to get in touch with them once the work was completed and they would arrange for the meters to be disconnected.

In Sep 2017 I did so. I sent photographs and certs as requested and confirmed by telephone that they'd been received. I calculated that the early termination fee for gas and electric (£30 each) would easily be offset by the savings I would make in the Daily Charge.

By March 2018 nothing had happened and I got in touch again. By phone, by e-mail, and by twitter. A tortuous and fruitless e-mail exchange followed in which I kept explaining that the supply was disconnected and that I would not be moving to another supplier. I also explained that by my rough calculations it was no longer worth terminating the contract early, as with so few months left to run, the daily charge saving would not offset the early exit fees.

This led nowhere useful. I'm frustrated but I'm a pragmatist. I shall undoubtedly be ditching-and-switching the main house account in a few months, but my more immediate puzzle is how to terminate my contract with Green Star for the flat. In older-times no doubt I could send a hand-written letter by registered post giving 28 days notice and trust them to do the right thing. But I'm frankly at a loss at how to get Green Star to understand that I simply want to terminate the contract at the end of its term.

My guess (from reading the thread above) that this is going to revolve around the meters which are still in place. My understanding from Green Star was that when I told them the supply was disconnected, they would come and remove the meters at a cost to me. This never happened, and there appears to be no indication that it's going to happen. Quite frankly I don't care if the meters rot away as they're not doing me any harm, but I suspect that they need to be removed.

I'm going to get in touch with Green Star again and give it another go, but I'm not holding my breath. They've estimated that my usage for the next year for gas and electricity is several hundred pounds, despite the fact the supply was disconnected in Sep 2017, that I regularly submit meter readings that show nil usage. They take £58 / month by DD. The account is approx. £800 in credit.

Has anyone been in a similar situation who might be able to advise me on a productive approach?

Thanks,

Dougie

Comments

• MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Phone them and book an engineer to disconnect the supplies
  • Dougie_Nisbet
    Options
    Thought that was what would happen in Sep 2017 when I notified them. No matter, will do that tomorrow and specifically request that and see what happens. thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure