Cricket fan goes all out to save £90 on his train ticket to watch England - MSE News

A cricket fan saved £90 on a return train ticket to watch England's test match against India next week - by splitting his journey ten times and printing out 26 paper tickets...
Read the full story:
'Cricket fan goes all out to save £90 on his train ticket to watch England'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's a shocking waste of paper though, it should all be an electronic thing on a phone or digital wallet and allow the ticket inspector to check it all on screen. If sites like MSE are going to continue to push this idea so people can save money, they should also push for a more sensible ticketing service that doesn't involve paper copies of 26 tickets
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    edited 23 August 2018 at 4:28PM
    It's not a huge amount of paper though, each ticket is probably about a gram, so 26grams, that's a fraction of the weight of paper used for a tabloid that nobody reads. Just make sure you drop them in your card recycling collection and the fibres will come back again and again as something new.

Oh, and don't think your e-ticket on your phone is totally free from having a carbon footprint, just think of how long it spends plugged into the wall chained to a huge power station, not to mention the non-renewable, non-recyclable resources used up in building it in the first place.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    However only committed members of an asylum could invent a ticketing system whereby buying 26 tickets is cheaper than one!
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    And not everyone owns a mobile phone or electronic wallet.
  • PompeyPete
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    However only committed members of an asylum could invent a ticketing system whereby buying 26 tickets is cheaper than one!

So far as the system is concerned all the short journeys are stand-alone, and have nor relation to the one long journey.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,528 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 August 2018 at 8:08PM
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    So far as the system is concerned all the short journeys are stand-alone, and have nor relation to the one long journey.
    Sorry, but that isn't quite true.

The National Rail Conditions of Travel say:
    14. Using a combination of Tickets

14.1 [...] you may use a combination of two or more Tickets to make a journey provided that the train services you use call at the station(s) where you change from one Ticket to another.
    That is an important point if ever a claim for delay compensation is needed. In such a situation the amount of compensation should be based on the sum of the cost of all the tickets that make up the complete journey.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Good on the fan saving money avoiding the premium of Cross Country long distance fares. Hopefully the seat he has selected is a decent one
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Big deal, back when I was 18 before the days of internet ticket sales I remember being illegally evicted from a property, having literally 2 trolleys full of stuff and my ticket back was £30 to parents hundreds of miles away I only had £27 on me and had slept rough for 2 days in a wet Easter weekend, I found out it would cost £27 exactly if I bought tickets on each connection, ended up getting 5 trains but factor in I had 2 trolleys of possessions to unload onto new trolleys at each station, take to ticket office, buy a ticket, take to new train unload and don't forget I basically had no sleep for 2 days in pouring rain!
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    It's not a huge amount of paper though, each ticket is probably about a gram, so 26grams, that's a fraction of the weight of paper used for a tabloid that nobody reads. Just make sure you drop them in your card recycling collection and the fibres will come back again and again as something new.

Oh, and don't think your e-ticket on your phone is totally free from having a carbon footprint, just think of how long it spends plugged into the wall chained to a huge power station, not to mention the non-renewable, non-recyclable resources used up in building it in the first place.

You missed the bit where the paper requires all that stuff to product the paper, from chopping the tree down to finally printing and posting them to you.

A phone at least has multiple uses and could be charged from a renewable source
  • PompeyPete
    KeithP wrote: »
    Sorry, but that isn't quite true.

The National Rail Conditions of Travel say:

That is an important point if ever a claim for delay compensation is needed. In such a situation the amount of compensation should be based on the sum of the cost of all the tickets that make up the complete journey.

Fair enough. But as he bought the tickets as individual tickets, the 'system' wouldn't have been aware of each leg of the journey. No doubt he was able to take advantages of any discounts offered by some of the Operators, which he wouldn't have been entitled to on a 'through' ticket.

I've probably missed something though. If 'Play' on the day he travelled started @ 1100 how the heck did he manage to get there in time from Derby? Even getting from Southampton Parkway to the ground takes up time and expense.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure